Creating a New Catalog

Grayling

After many years in construction, we’ve started manufacturing our own deck posts. We would like to have a catalog in Chief so we can place these new posts on our Chief drawings. There are no posts that are similar to ours that we can modify. So we would like to make our own from scratch. I’m trying to visualize the steps to do this. I have approximately 10 different posts to make in Chief. I would also like to have a different symbol for each post so we can design for clients also and show where they need to set their posts. 

So I think I’m asking for 2 things. 1. How to make a catalog from scratch of approximately 10 items. 2. How to make symbols to match up to the catalog items.

Here’s a link to our YouTube page to get an idea of what our posts look like. 

To make the catalog of posts, I was thinking of opening a plan file, creating posts using CAD objects. I can do that part, it’s the next steps of making the catalog encompassing those 10 posts. Any ideas? 

Thanks for your help.

57 minutes ago, Grayling said:

What about the physical posts themselves? I’m not as concerned about the symbols, as the actual posts that I create a library for.

A "symbol" as Chop is referring to is the classification given to a 3d object, not to be confused with a 2D block which is the 2D graphical representation of your symbol. Create your 3D "symbols" and simply add them to your library using the various different methods which are laid out in CA's supporting documentation and videos. 

Alternatively, you can request that Chief  host your files in their manufacturers libraries. You'll have to contact CA for that. I think Dustin is in that department, really nice guy.

If you get those Millwork symbols just right, and since you built them you should have all the correct data, they can be use in auto chief railings.  The cables are a little tricky in chief but it can be done.

You actually have one of the best right next door if you want to get things just right and post them here on the forum to help with sales.  Talk to @Alaskan_Son if you need help.

Also if you are asking questions here on the forum it would be great if you could add your version of Chief to your signature so we can give version specific help.

Are you only making them for yourself or are you going to sell them? They look great. Are the holes in the intermediate posts angled?

You can email me direct at alan@lehmandesignstudio.com since my questions make take this thread away from the intention of this area of the forum.