SNestor

New Nested Tray Ceiling Tool

OK...I've been messing around with the "Tray Ceiling" tool in X12.  Cannot for the life of me figure out how to create a "nested" tray ceiling.  In the help file it shows to unique icons...one for a "tray"...and one for a "nested tray".  I cannot find where this "nested" tray menu or icon exists.  

2020-02-07_14-07-32.thumb.png.ec076751990eb84d1d316d688bec85c1.png

Is the nested ceiling shown below in Example B possible with the Nested Tray Ceiling tool?  Thanks!

2020-02-07_14-24-53.thumb.png.cbe326ca882f5495eec32df2547cb7c0.png

Well...I've discovered that once you create a "tray ceiling"...you select the line of the tray ceiling and this action then gives you the "nested tray ceiling icon" on the bottom toolbar.

But creating a two stepped tray ceiling as per my example B above I don't believe is possible....maybe someone can enlighten me.

Thanks!

2020-02-07_14-31-16.thumb.png.b608d6ee1490dc5dd99b8a232157ffd9.png

It's not currently possible to make that second style of trey ceiling with a pair of trey ceiling polylines; whichever polyline fits inside the other in the plan view will always end up being on top. However, you can get close by adding a large rectangular molding profile at the bottom of a single trey ceiling polyline.

Very easy to accomplish by auto building the lower tier, exploding it and deleting the center ceiling section, and then auto building the upper tier.  

4 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Very easy to accomplish by auto building the lower tier, exploding it and deleting the center ceiling section, and then auto building the upper tier.  

Yep...another "genius" suggestion Michael.  And, it works...sort of.  

See the section below...the lower ceiling loses the top surface...which is easy enough to fix. I'd probable use Ben's suggestion and just attach a molding to the lower ceiling to create the "recessed" look.

2020-02-07_20-35-25.thumb.png.00a489ae0b99fc4081b72ba6e20b8741.png  2020-02-07_20-36-32.thumb.png.5e1b1a63b404af00deb80e0d18def245.png

@solver

thanks Eric. Good video.  I agree...the molding would be a problem in vector view. 

Method fails when you build a roof.

10 minutes ago, solver said:

Method fails when you build a roof.

Ok...it’s always something.  Thanks for taking the time.  

18 hours ago, SNestor said:

Yep...another "genius" suggestion Michael.  And, it works...sort of.  

See the section below...the lower ceiling loses the top surface...

Are you referring to the material that might go on top of that little ledge?  If so, you can't actually see that from anywhere you might set up a camera if you're just going for the "look" anyway, and the section is far more accurate than it would be with a molding polyline.  I actually don't think many builders finish that area anyway.  In fact, its commonly too hard to even access.  If anything I can maybe see a piece of molding placed on top of that ledge...there's an appropriate use of that molding.