Modifying Dimension Text

DLerner

Does anyone know how I can change the actual text of a dimension?  For example, if I would just like the dimension string to say "existing" rather than a numerical value?  I have tried deleting the numerical value and adding in my own text but can't figure out how to do that either.  Is there not a way to override the text that comes out in a dimension?  When dealing with existing conditions, sometimes it's easiest / necessary to just input a value that you know is correct because manipulating the objects will cause too much trouble...

I had this string up by mistake under Tips & Techniques and so far I've tried

1. Right clicking the dimension (nothing happens, no menu or actions pop up)

2. The Add Additional Text icon in the toolbar but this only let's me add leading text before the numerical value or trailing text after.  It doesn't let me override or delete the actual numbers.

Any help would be very much appreciated!  P.S. I have the latest version of CA.

Look for the "Add Additional Text" 1989211101_AddAdditionalTexttool.JPG.98974fe47baded6aec4476ac635a85e9.JPG  tool on you active toolbar when the dimension line is selected and click that and then the dimension line again to suppress dimension value and add your own text.

Select the "Suppress Dimension Value"  Check Box.

This is also available in the Segments section of the Dimension Line Specification DBX.

Leading or trailing text will center up if the dimension value is suppressed.

Yeah I'm running X11 so I think that's my problem.  There is no "suppress dimension value" for me.  So maybe my best bet is to just place a filled text box over my dimensions text.  Clumsy but at least it's a solution. 

Thanks all, I appreciate your help!

6 minutes ago, DLerner said:

Yeah I'm running X11 so I think that's my problem.  There is no "suppress dimension value" for me.  So maybe my best bet is to just place a filled text box over my dimensions text.  Clumsy but at least it's a solution.

Yup.  This is one of the most typical solutions in X11 and prior.  Just reduce the text size being used for your dimension to at or near zero.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Is the "add additional text" for dimensions option only available on the architecture version. I'm running X12 but Interiors. Not seeing this feature available which is greatly needed for interiors 

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
45 minutes ago, amfigus said:

Is it possible to rotate dimension text in X12? I have removed the check mark next to "Rotate with Plan" but that didn't do anything.

No Sorry.  you'd have to use a Text box with a fill to cover the old one.

M.