kwhitt

Recessed Light Keeps Jumping to 2nd Floor

I'm trying to layout a recessed light grid in a kitchen design.  Whenever I move a recessed light too close to the front exterior wall, it jumps onto the 2nd floor.  It's a story and a half home, but the second level is defined as floor 2.  This also happens when I draw a CAD line in order to snap into the proper location.  I've been trying to find a workaround for over a 1/2 hour - needless to say, quite frustrating.  I have attached a zipped file as the size was slightly over the 25MB limit.  I'd appreciate any help with this.  Thanks,  Kevin

Baker_Proposed_10-29-19_STRIPPPED.rar

001.jpg

Did you try moving them once initially placed?  Thanks Eric.

Please select the single light I placed and try moving 42" off front wall using the dimension I have drawn.  It jumps to 2nd floor every time - at least on my install.

There is a wall directly above. Not sure of the fix.

ct1.thumb.png.730210eb2cd1deab1c6cd8087c5b08e6.png

The ceiling joist will run parallel to the wall above and Chief will build a beam under the wall which it thinks prevents the light from being in that position, or at least that's my guess.

• Like 1

Thanks Eric.  Can you think of a workaround?  I've even tried offsetting from second floor ceiling and since the ceiling directly above is sloped, it comes in on an angle.  There's got to be a manual way to place these fixtures...

If you open up the symbol DBX for the recessed fixture you can change it from mounts on ceiling to mounts on floor. Then set the height from finished floor to your ceiling height.

• Upvote 1

basketballman - thanks for the reply.  I'll give it a shot.

Graham - thanks for the tip.  This should work!