blueriver

Gap between porch ceiling and structure

I have a persistent problem with gaps in my porch ceilings in between the finished surface and the underside of the roof structure.  I know it has to be a setting i have wrong but i cannot figure it out! Current project is a barndominium with a gable porch. 

Thanks in advance

front zw.jpg

If you just want the ceiling surface to look flat open the Room DBX ( Dialogue Box )  and go to the Structure tab > Ceiling and Select "Use Soffit Surface For Ceiling"   If you want to allow enough space for proper structural rafters make your sub fascia depth the same as the "Vertical Structure Depth" of the roof by checking the Roof Plane Specification DBX under the General tab > Measurements.

If that does not work let us know what software version you are using and post your plan file and one of the pros will take a look.

Welcome to the Forum.

• Upvote 1

It looks like you have your Sub-fascia size set smaller than your Rafters and you also have the "Trim Framing to Soffits" check box set to on in the Build Roof >Structure Tab. ie Soffits always use the Sub Fascia height or VSD as Chopsaw pointed out.

M

I experimented with Shadow Boards to cover the gap.

ct1.thumb.png.da9e4b4a52cd7a746bbb7d76febfb9bb.png

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LauraJohn
    Newest Member
    LauraJohn

• By decorators3
      Hi 

Normally I don't have too many issues with roofs unless they are complicated.  This one looks simple .. but I can't seem to get the straight across area for the roof indent. I can have teh roof with gable but not as it looks in the picture--- as you can see by the one with the X this is what I  end up with and the other is how it should look.. Any suggestions.. I tried adding another floor and reducing the height but then the roof was too high

You're imput is always welcome

Thanks
      Levina

• By ChiefuserMathews
      Hello, is there a way to display the ceiling elevation (height) on plan view, as we typically show them on architectural drawings?
    • By ChiefuserMathews
      Hello, Is it possible to create a ceiling assembly schedule in CA? I could not find one, nor an option to assign to a custom schedule. Any tips?
    • By Designer100
      can anyone explain how and help me enclose between this new gable roof and ceiling. Also looking toward house thru gable closing in with Hardi-siding. The old roof is showing thru and something else when I do a rendering (see attached). Need to look good for a client in 3 D. They are adding a roof over existing 10' x 20' patio. 

thank you if you can help.

Newell Cheatheam
      CA 12
      newell@newellcheatheam.com 

Patio Remodeling.plan
    • By StructEng58
      All,

I am working on a house that the customer wants a vaulted gable roof over the great room. I would like to get this gable roof to span the entire great room if I could, but can't seem to get the roof lines to work. I also don't want a very tall gable wall at the great room. See the below images to what I am talking about. I also attached the plan file for reference.

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Chris
      Brundage.zip