Looking for Architect / Designer to help with finishing plans (Houston, TX)

aandea

We are a professional couple, husband is a computer engineer and wife is an artist (www.adelaandea.com ). We have acquired 1.5 acres of land in Houston area, Texas and we are looking to build a home. We have started to play with Chief Architect to create the floor-plan layout, then added a bit on the roof and so on, until we got stuck due to knowledge limitation.

We looking for an architect / designer to help us complete the plans for a new residential house. I have a starting point for the plans (see attached file).

Goal / Specs

Current plans are for a single-story home, around 3900 sqft, 4 bd, 2.5 bth.

We are looking for a “modern” feel for the house

In the current plans I have a few less common features like

-          Entrance hall, living room and one more room have 18ft ceilings, rest of the house is at 11 ft

-          One room have very large spans (26ft x 27ft)

-          Roof is very shallow, 2/12.

-          We are trying to use the roof / top of the kitchen as a terrace

-          We would like for the roof to extend over the entrance and backyard to create a shaded area.

I am looking for someone to take the current plan, clean it and refine it to be suitable for construction (e.g. framing). The current plan has “defects” due to constant changes that we made to the plan (e.g. some walls do not align properly)

We are NOT looking to furnish the interior. We are primary interested into the house shell(walls, foundation, roof, windows etc.). We are foregoing even the storage closets for the time being. Some of the “missing” points are: cleanup default materials, adjust the roof support, fix the walls, additional work on windows (ideas for windows design so it looks modern), the external stairs and anything else that a regular person would miss when playing with Chief Architect (e.g. mechanical room size? attic ?, doors too close ? code violations? )

As for time-frame, we would like to complete these plans within a month or so, if possible. We are ready to start the construction on the lot this summer.

Thank you !

Otero_House_8.plan

DavidJPotter

David Jefferson Potter

Expert with Chief Architect Inc software

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver

Win10 Pro x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, Gigabyte GV-N1080 IX-8Gb

Chief 7-X11, Home Designer 2019 versions 

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118 Austin, Texas 78728 Tel.512-518-3161 E Mail:davidjpotter@twc.com

My You Tube Channel            My Houzz Page

http://djpdesigns.com           Find out about my tutorial service!

Follow me on Facebook          My Sketchfab site

I appreciate the "Plug" but I am not a licensed Architect. What you should first do is to contact your local Permit Authority to find out what their requirements for plans submission is, then use that is a guide for moving forward with the plans. I or someone like me can create the construction documents generally but you should also engage a State Licensed Structural Engineer to advise on structural concerns and he or she should also visit your site to inspect its geology, taking into consideration the yearly weather conditions that intended property will need to withstand through its lifetime. A custom home is a huge investment and should be built on a foundation designed by a State Licensed person trained to protect your investment and family.

DJP

1 hour ago, DavidJPotter said:

I appreciate the "Plug" but I am not a licensed Architect. What you should first do is to contact your local Permit Authority to find out what their requirements for plans submission is, then use that is a guide for moving forward with the plans. I or someone like me can create the construction documents generally but you should also engage a State Licensed Structural Engineer to advise on structural concerns and he or she should also visit your site to inspect its geology, taking into consideration the yearly weather conditions that intended property will need to withstand through its lifetime. A custom home is a huge investment and should be built on a foundation designed by a State Licensed person trained to protect your investment and family.

DJP

Hello David, 

Thank you for your feedback. I am planning to go through the paces using a Home Builder Network that will assist me with the process. I am just trying to get into the process as best prepared as I can, with a clear view on how the house layout should look. I understand that each phase may alter the plan based on the finding on the ground.

Good morning. I'm in the Spring Branch/Memorial area. If you like, you can contact me and I may be able to find someone to help you. My engineer is leaving town for 10 days starting July 13th and I have two more projects I need to get to him for engineering before he leaves. I would not be able to get your plan ready by your timeline. If I could help in any way, let me know. Cell: 832-754-6160

• Upvote 1