DaveCoyleJr

Camera View Send To Layout Issues

Hey guys... I've been dancing around an issue that I simply need to tackle once and for all. Whenever I wish to build a simply visual layout, I get the perfect angle and hit "Send to Layout", "update Always" under Live View... This always spits out a box that is centered on my page and at the same size and scale... The issue is I can't figure out for the life of me how to edit this box. It is always unclickable and appears as if chief does not even recognize it. I literally can't even delete it and is usually forced to Ctrl-Z or delete the page and start anew. 

I know there is something small I'm missing here; To circumvent this issue, I simply "send as image" and I'm able to scale and fit; but then I proceed to have a hissy fit when clients want to change small things and I'm forced to go and "reframe" my entire model... PLEASE HELP! I just want to resize the live view to fill my layout page. or at least be able to delete it.

EDIT: I'm on Windows X11 btw

WHY.PNG

5 minutes ago, solver said:

Watch on YouTube: http://youtu.be/3FJka1oQs8s?hd=1

Howdy Solver! You're one of my forum faves! Thanks so much the response, however, I'd love to know what software you used to create that quick vid, as it would allow me to show you those are THE EXACT steps I took, and I end up with an unclickable box as shown in my OP screenshot.

8 minutes ago, DaveCoyleJr said:

THE EXACT steps I took, and I end up with an unclickable box as shown in my OP screenshot.

Is it possible that your layout box border layer is locked in layout ?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Is it possible that your layout box border layer is locked in layout ?

Thats IT!!! I knew it was something terribly small!! Thanks guys! And Thanks Solver for the screen app!

Okay, Now I'm able to edit and move, But I can't seem to RESIZE the box... When i drag a corner, that corner simply pulls away, and resize is not in my toolbar

I'm an idiot! RIGHT CLICK... BYE NOW!

Marque select the layout box or CTRL select and use the little control tab at the top.

Or hold down the X key and drag a corner.

Drag a side and position with point to point tool.

Rotate/Resize about current point works like the software did back in X9 if you hold down the X key it will resize proportionally about the anchor point.

• Upvote 1

Okay, So here's what I discovered... The live views slow down the process to a crawl! I tried update on demand only but still, EVERY EDIT to any portion of the layout was reprocessed... At that rate, It's faster for me to reframe the shot and edit the image. Any tips? My machine is a 8th Gen I7 with 32GB ram and a 1080 GPU...

Yes they are quite taxing to even the fastest system for some reason.  You can send as image or one trick is to set them up and then switch to Plot Lines while you are working and then back when you are ready to present or print. 

Update on demand should be manageable if you don't get too carried away.

• Upvote 1

On 5/15/2019 at 4:05 PM, DaveCoyleJr said:

Okay, So here's what I discovered... The live views slow down the process to a crawl! I tried update on demand only but still, EVERY EDIT to any portion of the layout was reprocessed... At that rate, It's faster for me to reframe the shot and edit the image. Any tips? My machine is a 8th Gen I7 with 32GB ram and a 1080 GPU...

That was a big issue for me for a while. I always use update on demand as that lets me control when it slows down a bit more. The resolution of the pic depends on how big on your screen the picture is when you update it. I thought that I needed it to be high res in the layout file to get it to print that way, but chief reprocesses everything already when it prints. So if you zoom out then update the pic, it will look lower resolution on your screen, but it will use less memory and the file will move faster, but it will still look fine when you go to print. Hope that makes sense. TLDR: update all your views so they are low res and take up less memory.