How to create Electrical Legend for Layout

DeveloSpec

The first thing you need to do is fill out your signature giving the info on the soft ware you're using, and also your computer info (all this will come in handy for others to help you) later on.  To be specific, if you are using X11 open a new plan (or a saved plan) then go to library>Electrical> and the list will populate, then you will see Electrical Legend. 

Electrical Legend.pdf

I don't have X9 loaded not sure if the legend is located the same. Did you type in Electrical in the library browser? In X9 you may have to go to Interior Fixtures>Electrical>?

Perhaps one of the REAL CA gurus will give you the CORRECT answer.

Use this link to see how to fill out your signature: 

hi, ok i typed in "electrica" in the library browser and I see the generic Electrical Legend.

But it does not have all of the symbols I am using (AFCI) and it shows different symbols that I am not using, and not the same symbols such as the chandeliers etc.

How to make the true electrical legend that reflects the actual symbols in the plan? I was assuming it would auto populate like the schedules do...

Again, I'm not sure, I do know you should be able to edit the Legend once you place it in your plan. Most legends and schedules are populated by MACROS (not in my pay grade yet) too much else for me to keep up with, but, I did create some Plumbing fixture / pipe symbols for a project the Local code guy wanted in a plan I submitted, and I simply added the symbols to my user library, then inserted each one into my plumbing legend but that was back in X10.

I'm probably making it harder than it should be.  Lets see if the guys that do this all the time will jump in.

So, to create a signature, you go to the profile you created when you jointed the forum, which should be in the upper right hand corner, click on it. The drop down menu should open then, select account settings>then in that menu scroll down to Signature> when it opens just fill out the info you want to include. The link I shared in a previous reply was to David J Potters Video that shows how he has his filled out. Again, having this information will help especially if you have future or further questions you need help with. Also the computer hardware info helps. 

If Chief's electrical legend doesn't contain all the CAD blocks you need for the electrical symbols you are using, then you may have to get your creative juices flowing and make your own legend that shows only the electrical symbols you are using in your project.  For each electrical symbol you are using, you can find a CAD block (Chief's 2D plan representation of each electrical symbol) by going to CAD Block Management (via CAD in the tool bar at the top left of your page).  Once you have that open, you can search for each of the electrical symbols' CAD blocks being used and in the CAD Block Management dialog box (dbx) there is a box in the top center that says "Insert" which when clicked will insert the CAD Block in your plan.  The dbx shows the CAD block for each electrical fixture in the view port on the right side so you know what each one looks like.  Once you have them all placed in your plan, you can assemble them and using CAD or whatever magic you choose to use, along with text, and create your own custom electrical legend.  That would be a lot of work I don't think I would do, but it could be done.  I would just use Chief's OTB (out of the box) electrical legend and then for the few that you are using that aren't in the legend, I would perhaps create a mini supplemental legend with the ones not shown.  There are probably lots of other ways that may be easier to skin this cat.  I am sure you'll hear multiple opinions on how you can do this.  Once you are done with your custom legend, don't forget to add it to the library so you can use it again for another project if needed.  You might even try a search on the Internet ... maybe you can find a more appropriate electrical legend than what Chief is providing. 

CADBlock.thumb.JPG.3a160a41de5d5c01a041ed4e6a7ea59b.JPG

It's not exactly what you show in your picture, but in my opinion, the best way to deal with this is as follows:

1. Drop an Electrical Schedule in your plan.
  2. Adjust the settings to something like I have shown below...

Legend.thumb.jpg.2ded8234084df0aaf59c62e558ef6b5a.jpg

The result will be a sort of live legend that only includes items you actually have in the plan...

1306238163_legend2.thumb.jpg.d4506a971c6136ef269592b47d44a9a5.jpg

My bad.  I think you can create this very easily by using an electrical schedule and then adding a column to include the 2D symbol for each fixture.

ElecSched.thumb.JPG.254cf58c8526a9cccc7f1f484128c444.JPG

You can rename the schedule to "Legend" and add/delete whatever columns you want .... perhaps just the 2D image and a description is all you need.

Edit:  Just like Michael showed in his post above.  If you wanted to show which room or floor, those are other columns that may be helpful for your electrical contractor.

@alaskan son, yes great idea.. but there are some kinks.. as shown in CJspud's screenshot.. i have same issue with item "www.wayfair........ "

i have not found a way to change that name.. it reflects the URL for the wayfair item for some reason...

I tried to change the name of the object in the 3d symbol dbx but it does not reflect in the schedule..

where is that information stored at to modify it?

sorrry spoke to early.. found it in the other object dbx.. there is 2 separate descriptions that populate into the schedules.. one in the "open symbol' box and one one in the "open object" dbx.

I think CA should consolidate those 2 dbx .. it is confusing and both show similar data/options etc.

6 minutes ago, DeveloSpec said:

@alaskan son, yes great idea.. but there are some kinks.. as shown in CJspud's screenshot.. i have same issue with item "www.wayfair........ "

i have not found a way to change that name.. it reflects the URL for the wayfair item for some reason...

I tried to change the name of the object in the 3d symbol dbx but it does not reflect in the schedule..

where is that information stored at to modify it?

Open the object, click on the Object Information Panel, and edit the Description field.