How do you handle split celing heights in an entry way?

Max3732

I'm using Chief Architect Premier v8. As you can see from the pictures the entry way has multiple ceiling heights as well as stairs that go down from there into a hallway. When I tried to do this I created different rooms for each height, but that created problems down the road. What's the correct approach to a room like this?

I'm thinking of starting from scratch and am only focused on doing the interior for figuring out how to furnish it.

Entryway.png

Front door view.png

Hallway entrance.png

Upper area entrance.png

View from front door.png

Just now, TheKitchenAbode said:

What problems did it create? Please try to be more specific.

Instead of having it as one room for changing floor height, walls, etc it created separate zones that all had to be handled separately. It also made it difficult to attach the different rooms together.

6 minutes ago, Max3732 said:

Instead of having it as one room for changing floor height, walls, etc it created separate zones that all had to be handled separately. It also made it difficult to attach the different rooms together.

Rooms are the way to do it but there are two approaches to this.

1.) that higher area is a high room and so you make it high on your first level.

or

2.) that higher area is actually a lower room on the first level with another identical room above on the second level that has no floor(open below).

I think you would find that latter(2) is likely the better approach.

37 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Rooms are the way to do it but there are two approaches to this.

1.) that higher area is a high room and so you make it high on your first level.

or

2.) that higher area is actually a lower room on the first level with another identical room above on the second level that has no floor(open below).

I think you would find that latter(2) is likely the better approach.

I agree with Graham on this.  Do not try to control the ceiling height by defining the ceiling height ....  keep all the ceilings at the same height.....  and then add a OPEN TO BELOW room above,  define it's ceiling height ,  and that room will control the ceiling height of the room below....  or that room above will have a floor that will control the ceiling of the room below......

much much easier.