2d dimensions problem

Aamir77

Dear Friends,

I am confused somewhere as I was preparing for a bathroom. In fixture specification dialog the one-piece toilet is 17 inches in width whereas point to point dimension tool is showing 9 inches in 2d plan. What's wrong am I doing?20190121_124821.thumb.jpg.825f9b1edd7c81d71acd5257cd76fedb.jpg9INCH.thumb.jpg.6babae3e69c35ce526c514a43fa5b9e6.jpg

Every Symbol has a Bounding Box size; quite often these dimensions are greater than the actual physical dimensions of the Symbol's geometry:

fixture1.thumb.PNG.9a1867d925c3f3eb23ee025495dd1c73.PNG

When you used the Fixture Specification dialog box to change the toilet's width, Chief re-sized the toilet using the Bounding Box width instead of the toilet's actual width. This is how Chief does things. The solution is to use the Symbol Specification dialog box to change the Bounding Box width to the toilet's actual width, then use the Fixture Specification dialog box to modify the toilet as you wish.

• Like 1

With Toilets Chief uses the Bounding Box to force you to give the Code required space around the Toilet  eg 30" x 36" , if you point to point the CAD Block you will see it is the correct size already and there is no need to set the Toilet to 17" yourself, by doing that you are almost making the toilet 50% smaller.

image.thumb.png.d25f2d20fd43ad105f3f3726856b48d4.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rlackore said:

Every Symbol has a Bounding Box size; quite often these dimensions are greater than the actual physical dimensions of the Symbol's geometry:

fixture1.thumb.PNG.9a1867d925c3f3eb23ee025495dd1c73.PNG

When you used the Fixture Specification dialog box to change the toilet's width, Chief re-sized the toilet using the Bounding Box width instead of the toilet's actual width. This is how Chief does things. The solution is to use the Symbol Specification dialog box to change the Bounding Box width to the toilet's actual width, then use the Fixture Specification dialog box to modify the toilet as you wish.

I actually was already doing this way as you suggested but to know something other than this '' fixture does not scale itself automatically when you tweak the bounding box to the required size''. I have to drag the bounding box handles afterwards to stretch the fixture wider or longer.

9 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

With Toilets Chief uses the Bounding Box to force you to give the Code required space around the Toilet  eg 30" x 36" , if you point to point the CAD Block you will see it is the correct size already and there is no need to set the Toilet to 17" yourself, by doing that you are almost making the toilet 50% smaller.

image.thumb.png.d25f2d20fd43ad105f3f3726856b48d4.png

Thanks for the help but may I know a little more as I did not properly understand. The problem occurs when I observe the associated size to the toilet in 3d view 34.thumb.jpg.410ecd2b0af302441291fc141f85b7ed.jpgI have literally stretched the toilet to 17 inches in width to get to the actual view.

2 hours ago, Aamir77 said:

I actually was already doing this way as you suggested but to know something other than this '' fixture does not scale itself automatically when you tweak the bounding box to the required size''. I have to drag the bounding box handles afterwards to stretch the fixture wider or longer.

There is a difference between adjusting the SYMBOL Bounding Box size ( chair and pencil icon on edit ToolBar) as Robert suggested and adjusting the Fixture size by dragging the Bounding Box or using the Fixtures DBX to input sizes which is what I think you are doing.

If you drag the Bounding Box that is 30" wide to 17"  ( true size of Toilet?)  or enter 17" in the Fixtures DBX it will no longer be the Correct size as seen in your 1st Pics above , as the Full size is controlled by the Symbol and it's assigned Bounding Box. With a  30" Bounding Box (BB) the Toilet is actually 50% smaller (approx.) at 15" if measured with point to point , so if you now drag the 30" BB to 17" you have effectively made the Toilet approx 50% smaller which is why in the 1st pics you are measuring it at 8 or 9" not 15" and it looks way too narrow.

Toilets are one of the few Symbols that the BB is not the actually size of the Fixture , Chief does this thinking that it helps Place the Toilet to meet Code Requirements in many US jurisdictions, I don't think they should do this myself as it confuses people.

M.

26 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

There is a difference between adjusting the SYMBOL Bounding Box size ( chair and pencil icon on edit ToolBar) as Robert suggested and adjusting the Fixture size by dragging the Bounding Box or using the Fixtures DBX to input sizes which is what I think you are doing.

If you drag the Bounding Box that is 30" wide to 17"  ( true size of Toilet?)  or enter 17" in the Fixtures DBX it will no longer be the Correct size as seen in your 1st Pics above , as the Full size is controlled by the Symbol and it's assigned Bounding Box. With a  30" Bounding Box (BB) the Toilet is actually 50% smaller (approx.) at 15" if measured with point to point , so if you now drag the 30" BB to 17" you have effectively made the Toilet approx 50% smaller which is why in the 1st pics you are measuring it at 8 or 9" not 15" and it looks way too narrow.

Toilets are one of the few Symbols that the BB is not the actually size of the Fixture , Chief does this thinking that it helps Place the Toilet to meet Code Requirements in many US jurisdictions, I don't think they should do this myself as it confuses people.

M.

In the first picture i uploaded, first I adjusted the FIXTURE SPECS and it started looking like 9 inches wide in the 2D plan then I rechecked the Bounding Box specs and those were set to 30x36x25 1/8 inches 1692937245_BONDINGBOX.thumb.jpg.9058bb61c3a58f11d57108a2f0e9e9f7.jpg afterwards I changed these sizes to 17x27x25 1/8 inches 17X27.thumb.jpg.d79c1c2b5142bba533a5ee9dec636d9f.jpg at that point Bounding Box which was far away from the fixture squeezed itself close to the fixture but fixture remained in its previous state of sizes i.e 9 inches by PTP tool 1677217006_BONDINGBOX2.thumb.jpg.4cbff20ce9c7390fc40ac8db47060abf.jpg I then stretched the handle manually to the required width. My question was ''How could I make the fixtures to follow the custom size I provide in FIXTURE Specification Box automatically?"

Secondly, I did not drag the 30'' Bounding Box to 17 Inch rather what I did, I mentioned above and on the other hand, I am free not to follow the US standard codes and yes the plan I want to work on allows me to have a one-piece toilet in 17 inches of width. Size in width is correct. I am confused (as you wrote above) on why the approximately 15 inches wider toilet have the Bounding Box of 30 Inches?

By adjusting the Fixture Specs to 17" you made the symbol almost 1/2 the size.....( 30" >17" )  hence it is 9" wide now not 15" approx...... (most toilets are about 15" wide at the Bowl)

After making the BB 17" too, (BB squeezed in) it was 9" still so in the Fixture Specs DBX you need to set 17" again ....which would make it full size again.

To Automate this......You would need to Edit ALL Chief's Toilets by copying them to your User Library and changing the BB to the Correct size , without the extra space Chief adds for Nth. Amer. Code requirements.  Toilets are one of the few Symbols that the BB is not the actual size of the Fixture , Chief does this thinking that it helps Place the Toilet to meet Code Requirements in many US jurisdictions, I don't think they should do this myself as it confuses people.

Try these : Toilets-TrueSize.calibz

• Upvote 1