How to do flush base in ca?

dskogg

13 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

The pony wall just needs to have a reduced or removed interior drywall layer is all.  And P.S.  If you use a casing with a profile kinda like this...

Casing.thumb.jpg.e3da0f4df00a91f1fca26909c25ea820.jpg

along with an appropriate rough opening dimension around the door, you can actually get the automatic recess too.  Adding a custom color in the groove around the door isn't so auto using this method though...

3D.thumb.jpg.c2a474417eae2d78be76ff98ec20327c.jpg

Okay, I'm done with this particular discussion.  WAY too easy to spend too much time messing around with and discussing the methods for this type of thing. 

Great ideas thanks... I didn’t really need the black just the reveal.. if it’s done then the shadow will work to provide the look.. does the door reveal work on both sides? 

Thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, dskogg said:

does the door reveal work on both sides? 

I haven't tried Michael's S shaped Trim above but NO , as you can only have one side recessed to the framing. I had never noticed before that "recessed" only works on the Exterior side but makes sense for exterior Walls where you want it recessed to sheathing on the Exterior Only but doesn't help in this situation though I am guessing it was not intended for this Application either.

The other problem with using the Casing as the Gap too, is that the Gap in my experience does not go to the floor typically but follows the outer edge of the trim. But if you set the Casing on the other side to 1/16th thick , it is hard to see that it is 1/16th thick since it is the same colour as the Door jamb (frame) and the Material region still make it look like the Gap it there.

image.thumb.png.bff8355d25be35c61e84b7959304be93.pngimage.thumb.png.23c6412d84c3f8f14c55ee8a073d9d99.png

1/2" thick        and     1/16th thick casing

I am still not sure how to make rough opening make shadow line around door?

I had to keep casing checked and make it the same width as door jamb and 1/16" thick.

when you have an end wall condition the studs show through?

base detail.JPG

12 minutes ago, dskogg said:

I am still not sure how to make rough opening make shadow line around door?

I had to keep casing checked and make it the same width as door jamb and 1/16" thick.

when you have an end wall condition the studs show through?

base detail.JPG

You can blend Black with the Framing Texture ( Copy the Framing material 1st) for the Pony Wall, to eliminate the end wall issue....don't just make the Framing material Black Colour as it won't frame if you do.

image.thumb.png.1f4e2e140d0894114f12a594402ae0a0.png

I didn't use Michael's RO / S trim method so I am not sure , mine is a WMR as noted above.....

Are you not having a Casing?  (looking at your plan view)

6 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

You can blend Black with the Framing Texture ( Copy the Framing material 1st) for the Pony Wall, to eliminate the end wall issue....don't just make the Framing material Black Colour as it won't frame if you do.

image.thumb.png.1f4e2e140d0894114f12a594402ae0a0.png

I didn't use Michael's RO / S trim method so I am not sure , mine is a WMR as noted above.....

Are you not having a Casing?  (looking at your plan view)

i have a casing...mick how do you copy framing material and blend..are you just painting it in 3d?

13 minutes ago, dskogg said:

i have a casing...mick how do you copy framing material and blend..are you just painting it in 3d?

1. Open the Ponywall wall type>select framing layer>
  2. Change Material>Plan material>
  3. select Framing 16OC >Copy >Rename Framing 16OC Black>
  4. General Tab change colour to Black >
  5. Texture Tab Blend with Texture >
  6. Save

8 minutes ago, dskogg said:

Also there is a gap at end of wall where drywall would have been?

base detail2.JPG

On the End I found the Base does not recess to the framing layer , it aligns with the Drywall above......but I am not sure what method you are using , as with the pony wall there is no drywall , just framing and two 0" layers of Black colour for the shadow detail

11 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

1. Open the Ponywall wall type>select framing layer>
  2. Change Material>Plan material>
  3. select Framing 16OC >Copy >Rename Framing 16OC Black>
  4. General Tab change colour to Black >
  5. Texture Tab Blend with Texture >
  6. Save

Thanks Mick.. I have done this many times just wasn’t sure .

yes my pony wall lower wall is two 0” thicknesses of black with framing in the middle 

53 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I haven't tried Michael's S shaped Trim above but NO , as you can only have one side recessed to the framing. I had never noticed before that "recessed" only works on the Exterior side but makes sense for exterior Walls where you want it recessed to sheathing on the Exterior Only but doesn't help in this situation though I am guessing it was not intended for this Application either.

The other problem with using the Casing as the Gap too, is that the Gap in my experience does not go to the floor typically but follows the outer edge of the trim. But if you set the Casing on the other side to 1/16th thick , it is hard to see that it is 1/16th thick since it is the same colour as the Door jamb (frame) and the Material region still make it look like the Gap it there.

image.thumb.png.bff8355d25be35c61e84b7959304be93.pngimage.thumb.png.23c6412d84c3f8f14c55ee8a073d9d99.png

1/2" thick        and     1/16th thick casing

Mick I tried doing a material region on an elevation, can’t snap to anything or center, so it’s difficult to get it just right. 

Doesnt work for me like you?

22 minutes ago, dskogg said:

Mick I tried doing a material region on an elevation, can’t snap to anything or center, so it’s difficult to get it just right. 

The WMR will center left / right on the Door if you click the Door even though you get no indication it will center like normal but I couldn't get it height wise had to do that manually......I found I need to pull it down to the bottom of the upper wall only , not to the floor.

7 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

The WMR will center left / right on the Door if you click the Door even though you get no indication it will center like normal but I couldn't get it height wise had to do that manually......I found I need to pull it down to the bottom of the upper wall only , not to the floor.

So you have a full case flush on both sides of door? I thought you could only do one side?

1 minute ago, dskogg said:

So you have a full case flush on both sides of door? I thought you could only do one side?

No, and yes :) 

Casing will only flush on one side if Recessed to main layer is set , on the other side I set the casing to 1/16th thick to make it look more Flush in images.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

52 minutes ago, dskogg said:

Shoot guys I'm late to the party, I have a pretty fool-proof method I've been using since they introduced material regions..similar to whats already been discussed.

looks good:

652524691_insetcasing.thumb.jpg.4826bef6fb7e17f50868ec42dd482b6c.jpg

Step 1: Make a custom 9/16" base molding like @Alaskan_Son mentioned and apply it to the room with an offset of 9/16"

440333129_insetcasing2.thumb.JPG.530bf4eef87c82ff0b8d662b6e981f85.JPG

Step 2: Apply a pony wall- copy your existing wall type and simply change drywall the material to "insulation air gap".

991599596_insetcasing4.thumb.JPG.43e07b51bdbe100e335d9abc8772a91f.JPG

Step 3: set casing to the door at 3.5" x 1/16" like @Kbird1 mentioned

1564461633_insetcasing3.thumb.JPG.feb6276f3ee86cba5d6ae5f731d1fb32.JPG

Step 4: apply a 1/16" material region w/ "cut finish layer of parent object" checked around the door casing. Duplicate this material region and rotate about center of the door so you have it on both sides. No block these 2 material regions and add them to your library. You will need a pair of these material regions for each door/window size you plan on using this detail for

4 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Shoot guys I'm late to the party, I have a pretty fool-proof method I've been using for ever since they introduced material regions..similar to whats already been discussed.

looks good:

652524691_insetcasing.thumb.jpg.4826bef6fb7e17f50868ec42dd482b6c.jpg

Step 1: Make a custom 9/16" base molding like @Alaskan_Son mentioned and apply it to the room with an offset of 9/16"

440333129_insetcasing2.thumb.JPG.530bf4eef87c82ff0b8d662b6e981f85.JPG

Step 2: Apply a pony wall- copy your existing wall type and simply change drywall the material to "insulation air gap".

991599596_insetcasing4.thumb.JPG.43e07b51bdbe100e335d9abc8772a91f.JPG

Step 3: set casing to the door at 3.5" x 1/16" like @Kbird1 mentioned

1564461633_insetcasing3.thumb.JPG.feb6276f3ee86cba5d6ae5f731d1fb32.JPG

Step 4: apply a 1/16" material region w/ "cut finish layer of parent object" checked around the door casing. Duplicate this material region and rotate about center of the door so you have it on both sides. No block these 2 material regions and add them to your library. You will need a pair of these material regions for each door/window size you plan on using this detail for

If your material region is only 1/16” how will it be the same depth as the recess above base?

2 minutes ago, dskogg said:

If your material region is only 1/16” how will it be the same depth as the recess above base?

the base material I created has a 1/16" leg up -see picture

EDIT: it doesnt look like it in the picture but it does have a 1/16" leg

3 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

the base material I created has a 1/16" leg up -see picture

EDIT: it doesnt look like it in the picture but it does have a 1/16" leg

I see that, but if you want a 1/2” or so reveal all the way up door case isn’t the wmr only going to cut 1/16”?

Just now, Renerabbitt said:

I usually can do a whole 2000 sq. ft. home with this method in about 10 minutes, and it looks fantastic in 3d

I can imagine.. I really like this look.. I have a modern home addition Reno to do and was wanting to show client what it could look like.

5 minutes ago, dskogg said:

I see that, but if you want a 1/2” or so reveal all the way up door case isn’t the wmr only going to cut 1/16”?

WMR's Cut to the main layer if the Cut to parent object is set, it can even be 0" thick....

7 minutes ago, dskogg said:

I can imagine.. I really like this look.. I have a modern home addition Reno to do and was wanting to show client what it could look like.

Hopefully they aren't on a budget then , it is a time consuming option , and all trades need to be "fussy" to pull it off well with exact 1/2 reveals everywhere.

20 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Hopefully they aren't on a budget then , it is a time consuming option , and all trades need to be "fussy" to pull it off well with exact 1/2 reveals everywhere.

yes budget, and yes time consuming- We got it done pretty quick once. We installed windows and doors, then made a flooring template(piece of laminate with the foam underlayment staple to the bottom) placing our baseboard with a reveal channel reveal.thumb.JPG.106afb30831cdfc975da8314a2aa5962.JPG ... on top of our floor template loosely, then nailing the base in which locked the channel in.

Then spray the reveal and base and do the drywall last.