What's The Best Way To Copy Some Finishes From One Plan To Another?

zowie123

Hi,

I want to copy a couple of wall colors and floor finishes, not all.  What's the best way to bring those things from one plan to another?  

The eye dropper doesn't seem to hold the choices from one plan to another, but I recall there being a way.  

Old time user getting back into the grind. 

Thank you,

Barry

I use a method similar to Ross - I create a bunch of soffits (click them in on the floor plan view) then copy the materials I want to transfer to the other plan. Then I select all of the soffits, use the copy command, then paste them into the new plan. I usually use a 3D overview and the eyedropper to distribute the materials where I want them in the new plan.

Copy/paste most any object w/ the material into the new plan would be the easiest/quickest. Objects that are using default materials would need the same material defaults in the target plan. Slabs/solids would work w/out fail.

Agree,  the easiest way.

Save them to a folder in your user library, then export the folder as a library file, and import the library file into your new plan.

If the plan is stored on the same computer (where your user library is) you don't even have to export/import - the materials will just reside in your user library. I don't understand how it could be any easier than that.

Count the clicks, Rob, I guess.

Copy/paste from one plan to another & then the material painter takes a few clicks; 10-12 maybe.

Adding the material to your user library from one plan, renaming, sorting, going to the target plan, open the object, materials tab, opening your library, finding it, .........you get the idea.

Adding every single material  to the main User Library works, but I try to keep my user library at a manageable/useable size. If I started adding every material I ever use to the main library.............. It's already too huge.

The PLAN material library works very well for occasionally used materials.

IMO

Jim,

The OP wanted a quick way to transfer a few materials from one plan to the other.

3D>Materials>Plan Materials (3 clicks)

Select the material>Add to Library (2 clicks)

Open the new plan, if it isn't open already (1 double click)

Select the library browser (1 click)

Select the material in the library browser (1 click) - you automatically have the spray can

Click on the object to apply the material (1 click)

9 clicks

1 right click and 1 left click to delete the material from your bloated user library