LAPTOP help, 1060 vs 1070 card

limitless8

2 minutes ago, limitless8 said:

Yeah I forgot that nowadays the only time CA will use all cores at full speed is during ray tracing, and I haven't done that since PBR, so maybe a 16 core processor is just  not needed, but a 1080ti or 2080ti or something is now the more necessary component, seeing as PBR is heavy on the GPU

I would tend to agree, and not trying to be argumentative, but from real world use I just don't see that much difference between my 1070gtx and my 965m in 3d performance....and I use a ton of complex and high resolution textures. 

I see real world difference in other rendering software's such as Thea and Lumion FOR SURE. which is why I bought an eGPU.

If I could go back in time and build the perfect laptop it would be WAY lighter than my ASUS, it would have a very high end touch screen as working with my iPad remoted into my desktop makes for a very fast workflow. It would have an affordable GFX card(since it is the first thing to become obsolete) an nvme slot or 2 with 64gb+ of ram and a 5ghz 4-8 core CPU. At least one USB-c port. 

I work 40-60 hours a week in CA doing production drafting and design work. For the type of work I do the Ramdisk and NVME have been hands down the biggest improvements for CA by miles. Especially with making backups, syncing cloud services...CA just does a ton of read/write...I honestly wish I had bought 64gb of ram instead of 32

Yeah I feel you, I have been thinking of going up to 64gb from my 32.  As for memory I am going to buy an adata 1tb nvme and make that my new C drive which is where CA always is, also a 2070 (dont see the point in the 2080), and we'll see how much more fun things will be at the end of all that.  If i was building a new rig and I'd love to, i'd probably still go with the 2950x with 16 cores at 4.1, a 2070, and 3*3tb nvme's for all drives, and 64gb of high speed ram like 3600 or higher.

9 minutes ago, limitless8 said:

Yeah I feel you, I have been thinking of going up to 64gb from my 32.  As for memory I am going to buy an adata 1tb nvme and make that my new C drive which is where CA always is, also a 2070 (dont see the point in the 2080), and we'll see how much more fun things will be at the end of all that.  If i was building a new rig and I'd love to, i'd probably still go with the 2950x with 16 cores at 4.1, a 2070, and 3*3tb nvme's for all drives, and 64gb of high speed ram like 3600 or higher.

I'm not sure that the clock speed on ram makes a huge difference, I went with 3000, makes a difference for OC

With the right setup for backing up files, installing CA's core program to a ramdisk is laughably fast-like words cant describe it- makes me giggle. You should try it, honestly- its like a face slapper. NVME can't touch a Ramdisk the same way an SSD can't compare to an NVME.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally bought something.

I went with the new Dell G7 17".  Its has basically all the same specs as the "thin" laptops that have been mentioned in this thread except its a RTX 2070 MQ since they are finally launched.  It just arrived today so I don't have any news on its performance yet.  I can say that the fit and finish is really nice, looks like a pro workstation and not a gaming PC but has the matching hardware specs for its chassis size.  It has a bunch rear facing ports which is nice for a cleaner desk space and a good overall selection of ports.  I paid 2128$ directly from Dell, that includes taxes and an extra full featured 2 year warranty with accidental damage coverage.  

I went round and round with this decision, hopefully this will work out for me.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 3:01 AM, M-Ferioli said:

Well, I finally bought something.

I went with the new Dell G7 17".  Its has basically all the same specs as the "thin" laptops that have been mentioned in this thread except its a RTX 2070 MQ since they are finally launched.  It just arrived today so I don't have any news on its performance yet.  I can say that the fit and finish is really nice, looks like a pro workstation and not a gaming PC but has the matching hardware specs for its chassis size.  It has a bunch rear facing ports which is nice for a cleaner desk space and a good overall selection of ports.  I paid 2128$ directly from Dell, that includes taxes and an extra full featured 2 year warranty with accidental damage coverage.  

I went round and round with this decision, hopefully this will work out for me.

Yeah I am also curious to hear  your thoughts regarding the performance of the 2070, also if you do use PBR with let's say complex objects, curious how you see the performance in comparison to the previous graphics card you had whether desktop or laptop (do mention it)/  Thanks!

I sure will...when I get my replacement.

So, it had one bad pixel that flashed red near the bottom of the screen, I know it sounds ridiculous but when I pay 2000$ I want zero bad pixels.  Dell has a 30 day return policy, plus I purchased premium support, so after having techs try and solve my issue I initiated an exchange.  Otherwise my first impressions were good and I feel it will outperform my older desktop running a 660ti GP no problem.  I never fully loaded chief because I knew I had to resolve this issue first, but I did load one of my jobs and rendered it with PBR, definitely a faster render than I'm used to, was missing some materials though.  I'll post more when I get the new one next week as long as it doesn't have any issues.  

Whatever you decide, I would make sure you can exchange it even if it only has one bad pixel.  I think HID evolution also sells this laptop, you can get a dead pixel warranty from them.  I chose to go directly through dell because it was hundreds cheaper even with a full two year premium warranty.  They told me when I bought it that it could be returned within 30 days for any reason and they will pay the shipping, that helped ease my mind a bit.  You can configure the drives and memory better through HID though and dealing with there support techs is probably a bit easier too.  Maybe a better way to go if you don't care about the money.  I would not judge this PC based on the pixel issue, that is a problem for all makes.  I did buy this when it was 200$ off, it may not be that price anymore.  Overall I think its a really well thought out machine, even my MacBook loving wife thought it was really nice and you know MAC people... ;)