Joe - keeping detail library updated?

CARMELHILL

Like probably almost everyone else I've kept my details in the user library with the original saved as an individual plan file. If anything ever changes or a code revisions requires a change to the detail, I open the original plan file, update the detail, make a cad block, and send it to the User Library to replace the old one, and delete the older detail. That's tedious at best.

A few weeks ago Joe Carrick mentioned he keeps all his details on a single plan file and then references the details into the Layout file. That way any changes made to the master detail file are always shown in the layout file. Great idea I thought but I think I took him too literal.

I spent 2 days importing and arranging my details in the plan file, on a few separate CAD Detail Management sheets, one for each scale. Then I sent each detail to layout and positioned the individual details on the sheet. I noticed a HUGE drop off in pan and redraw ability. I think I noticed this once before a few years ago, that when you have multiple, say 25 instances of the same view (details) on the layout sheet, then the program has trouble dealing with it. I do like to have each detail on my layout template so when I'm doing a project I can simply delete the individual details I don't need. But this speed degradation is not a problem when you have the individual details as part of the layout sheet within the CAD Detail Management. It seems it's only a problem when the details are all drawn on the same plan file, spaced a few inches away from each other.

While I'm typing this I just thought, I guess you can still have them all in the same plan file, but not technically drawn on the same sheet like my attached screen shot, but instead have them all within their own Cad Detail Management Block. 

BTW, Hey Chief, it would be REALLY great if you could give us a preview box of the CAD Detail Management, just like we already have in the CAD Block Management window. See attached. Plus one if you endorse the idea here:

like this instead.png

details sheet.png

CAD Detail Management Window.png

CAD Block Management window.png

I didn't see Joe's post ( link? ) but am thinking he keeps the Details in a Single plan File so they stay "live" and sends them to his Layout Template from there ...

He maybe doing the same as Scott Harris in the Lake Point Videos I watched recently though.......

The whole Video is worth watching and there is a sample Details plan in the Lake Point Download here :

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/samples.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/6193/construction-drawings-tips-and-techniques-lake-point-project.html?playlist=151

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/6183/plan-management-and-work-flow-lake-point-project.html?playlist=151

FWIW, I have my details stored in several plan files:

• Doors
  • Windows
  • Foundation
  • Framing
  • Roof
  • Stairs

all of which are in a "Details" folder independent of the projects but in my current Chief Version Folder.

Then within those each detail is in it's own "Named" CAD Detail Window.

That provides me with an Indexed system so that I can find the detail(s) I want  fairly quickly.  

This eliminates the problem of cropping out undesired details.