Join corners of a gutter

pj42pj42

I'm creating the built-in eave-gutters as they are on my house.

I started with a rough approximation of the cross-section in CAD.

image.thumb.png.4d4912d23b1f9a3149aebee13372a076.png

Then pasted the polyline into an elevation view and converted to solid.  

Now I'm joining two of them at a corner into a mitre joint.  I've been looking for a way to do this but so far no luck. I looked for something like a break-line function as I did for roof planes but I don't see anything.  I looked for something like the meet roof planes function but I don't see anything like it.

Also, there's a piece of tin that goes on top that forms the trough.  I made that a separate CAD element because it will be a different material.  

image.thumb.png.9c17eef27dedd0232317c8ac77b1ec1a.png

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. 

I've also looked for more CAD videos but haven't found much other than the trellis video from Derek that was sent to me. Extremely helpful!  Also, the CAD tutorial from help but I didn't find much there.  And, a few discussions about mitre joints in the Q&A but I couldn't extrapolate to my situation.

These are the tools I get at the bottom of the screen and have tried to see if they could help.

image.thumb.png.6a45dca21d4eb1ae2e67fe42e29f3118.png

I've tried the Perspective view editing as well as the Full Overview editing above.

image.thumb.png.e3f5a09078bd3cdc188f9a5dbdd4b708.png

This is a view of the actual gutter showing the tin trough.

CIMG3382.thumb.JPG.837ae2ba19e85be218fe473d3db6538f.JPG

Pedro

Plot3V5.plan

You are an ambitious fella Pedro.  You will make a very good operator in short order if you keep this up.

You can set a default gutter or even draw a custom gutter similar to the way you did in cad in your Roof Defaults > Gutter.

Chief will take care of the mitre for you without worry.

Gutter Defaults.JPG

1 hour ago, pj42pj42 said:

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi P.

In CA, Gutters are actually Mouldings and do not need to be closed Polylines.

When Drawing Mouldings for CA use, you ALWAYS start from the left Side and work to the Right ...essentially flip the Image above of your Gutter 180° , then CA will join them automatically.

A CA Tutorial on Gutters :

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00677/drawing-a-custom-gutter-molding-profile.html

and

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00824/editing-a-molding-profile.html

Yes, it's huge.  The gutter is installed similar to how you have it, but does not continue under the steeper gable, it just stops right where the steeper (right gable in the view you gave) sticks out from the building.

As for wrapping around the corner of the building, it only goes about 6".  Similar to what you have but shorter, and tucked under the roof, up tight against the framing.

Unfortunately I just haven't been able to figure out how to get started!!!!  I went to Edit Roof Default and replaced the gutter with my drawing (reflected, so that it faces left to right). But now I just don't see how to exercise a build function or what to do to start inserting the gutter!  I'm sure it's right in front of me... I can't get Roofs, Gutters to have a red cross in my Layer display...

Sorry that part is in the Build Roof DBX under the Options tab > Supply > "Gutter" or in each roof plane DBX but you may have to use a manual molding line from the sounds of the situation as auto ones seem too keep regenerating on their own if you edit or delete.

I've tried right click on User Catalog, "Place Molding Profile".  The cursor has an orientation of the molding on it's tip but I just don't know how to get it to place in the Perspective view, or any Plan view or Elevation view...

12 minutes ago, pj42pj42 said:

Yes, it's huge.  The gutter is installed similar to how you have it, but does not continue under the steeper gable, it just stops right where the steeper (right gable in the view you gave) sticks out from the building.

As for wrapping around the corner of the building, it only goes about 6".  Similar to what you have but shorter, and tucked under the roof, up tight against the framing.

Unfortunately I just haven't been able to figure out how to get started!!!!  I went to Edit Roof Default and replaced the gutter with my drawing (reflected, so that it faces left to right). But now I just don't see how to exercise a build function or what to do to start inserting the gutter!  I'm sure it's right in front of me... I can't get Roofs, Gutters to have a red cross in my Layer display...

Yes, sorry forgot to mention your Roof Planes all have the Gutter check box Off.....

I also unlocked the Gutters in Plan View ( on by default ) to manipulate the Auto Gutters as needed in my Plan.

M.

Thank you both for all your help.  It is deeply appreciated. 

Maybe I have to select autorebuild roofs, not sure.  But, I don't want anything else in the roof to change...  I think better to try to figure out how to do manual molding. Where the button is, not sure.

I have to call it a night now and hit it again tomorrow.

Good evening,

Pedro

1 minute ago, pj42pj42 said:

Thank you both for all your help.  It is deeply appreciated. 

Maybe I have to select autorebuild roofs, not sure.  But, I don't want anything else in the roof to change...  I think better to try to figure out how to do manual molding. Where the button is, not sure.

I have to call it a night now and hit it again tomorrow.

Good evening,

Pedro

I did not need to rebuild the roof planes as far as I remember?,  just checked the Gutter Box  in each roof plane and was able to change the Default Gutter to your one....

M.

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Mick.  Do you ever have issues with gutters auto regenerating when unlocked and edited?  Perry seems to have sent in as bug but no fix yet.

I don't usually unlock them , but in this case the roof isn't complete and I wanted to pull it around the Corner etc

At the moment I am having major issues with 3D views not regenerating on there own after a change and have to keep using the Rebuild 3D button to see  if my changes were correct , seems to have been happening all week in different plans , not limited to this one.....

M.

6 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

At the moment I am having major issues with 3D views not regenerating on there own after a change and have to keep using the Rebuild 3D button to see  if my changes were correct , seems to have been happening all week in different plans , not limited to this one.....

Did you turn off "Auto Rebuild Walls/Floors/Ceilings" in 3D View Defaults ?  Or was there some other hack when using a huge plan file.

I think when that is working is when the gutters rebuild.

54 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Did you turn off "Auto Rebuild Walls/Floors/Ceilings" in 3D View Defaults ?  Or was there some other hack when using a huge plan file.

I think when that is working is when the gutters rebuild.

I had no issue with the Gutters in this plan , but my issue is in ALL plans so I don't think it is a Defaults Issue as they are Plan Specific.

Started using Dropbox recently as a test with my laptop , not sure if it is related though not sure it could effect anything like this.....

12 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Plan Specific.

Could be template specific.  Also I have been getting the "do you use a cloud service" question right off the top from tech support a lot recently.  My answer is NO not for Chief.

13 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Could be template specific.  Also I have been getting the "do you use a cloud service" question right off the top from tech support a lot recently.  My answer is NO not for Chief.

Will move my Cheif Data Folder back off Dropbox and see , thanks for the info....

Was thinking it maybe latest Nvidia Drivers maybe too?  just trying to think what else  may have changed lately since we haven't had a CA update for a few months now....

M.

Pedro I see you are not sleeping.  To draw a manual eaves trough if you are having issues with the auto one sticking.  Go to Build > Trim > Molding Line, and draw line in plan view, apply your custom profile from the user library and set elevation using  Vertical offset.

Build>Trim>Molding Line works, thank you.  I had only tried "polyline" before and that put the profile on the pointer but didn't execute anything.

I remember running into a "make mitre" function or similar at some point, but I can't find anything like that now.  This is the joint I'm working on right now, putting the gutters in manually. I started from left to right.

image.thumb.png.80f07733a304280c54a6e565f39bd692.png

But even if I do check the gutter box in the roof plane as I should have done earlier, I still would have to put the wrap around the corner bit in manually, I think.  Here's the auto-generated.

image.thumb.png.b1470511580ea645d97b66912bcb6f22.png

Here's an actual view from ground level.

image.png.bc7ba899501dcc232c37ba7e87d884bc.png

From this you see I'll also have to continue a similar but smaller trim detail up the gable roof edges.  So, that won't be a mitre joint but it will be some kind of a complicated trim joint.  I read about that in some other posts but I still don't know how it works!

Plot3V7.plan

I see you did it here!  This is a little different though, it's not a box like mine, this one has a cavity.  Could that be the issue?

image.thumb.png.c105612bcad957da299e9a529424e231.png

My house just has a piece of tin sitting on top of the box structure which forms the gutter.

Pedro,  I made a manual auto return for you to see on the attached plan.  If this does not "stick" you will need to make a complete manual molding line as describe above.  And if you need to accurately model and angle cut that is a whole different story but doable.

Like a lot of things in chief this is sort of an all or nothing situation where you need to decide up front what your goals are and what method will work to achieve those goals.

Plot3V7 Chopped.plan

• 2 weeks later...

I sent a question to Chief because I was unable to get the moldings to operate.  They sent back 

some instructions.  After removing all the existing molding polylines, the first step was to:

-Select "Exterior Room" within a 2D floor plan view.

Only problem, I've been searching for anything related to an external room and after a lot of looking, nada.

They sent a screenshot which included an area outside of the building siding which appears to

be selected.  I've been in all the 2D floor plan modes using as many buttons and combinations as I can

come up with but no sign of any of the icons in the bottom left that are shown in the screenshot from

Chief.

IMG1.thumb.jpg.8acf1e48c32af953b3bde12bc70da9df.jpg

This is a screenshot of my 2D, no sign of any way to get a region outside of the exterior siding to become

selectable or selected.  I could not find the words "Exterior Room" anywhere in the program.

image.thumb.png.9b73966d6ace70d5ee43c2c84f74bec1.png

Any ideas about where I'm going wrong on this?

Pedro

Plot3V9.plan

I suppose in theory you could use a room molding polyline for eaves trough if all the fascais are at the same level and overhang.

You need to have interior room definition to have an exterior room.  If rooms are turned on you should be able to select it within a foot or two of the exterior wall.

I will check your file if I get a moment later.

1 hour ago, pj42pj42 said:

I sent a question to Chief because I was unable to get the moldings to operate.  They sent back 

some instructions.  After removing all the existing molding polylines, the first step was to:

-Select "Exterior Room" within a 2D floor plan view.

Any ideas about where I'm going wrong on this?

Pedro

Plot3V9.plan

Usually if you click about 6 " away from the exterior wall you will get the Exterior Room if the Walls are closed.... everything is ok in your plan , it only took two clicks to get it to show.....

One other way is if you get the wall 1st is just to use TAB or the next button until you see the Exterior Room like in blue in the Pic below....

Capture42.thumb.JPG.63d03d1a37f9f125bfd03154c17135ff.JPG

there Idea does work Pedro ...here I used the Gutter I made last week from your profile..... make sure to uncheck the Extrude Inside Polyline box in the Room Molding Polyline DBX to get the gutter facing the right way

Capture43.thumb.JPG.7dccd4894376cbacefe3f3b1b8157fd4.JPG.................. the plan file..............Plot3V9_with Gutter.plan