Clip top corner of door to roof pitch?

Larry_Sweeney

I could not find anything in "Search" on this subject. I would like to clip top corner of a door to same angle of the roof. Is this possible? I don't see a way in the door's "Arch" dbx. section. I know you can do this with windows. Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

I think your best bet is to create a custom symbol with the proper pitch:

Capture.thumb.PNG.b6cfcb847f4621f2b411726c1c118be4.PNG

then insert it without casing, etc., and lay a window pass-through over it and adjust the pass-through arch to match the roof:

Capture2.thumb.PNG.664484291fbf58fd9adf51b6f0acbb0b.PNG

It's a bit of work, but not too much.

One of the problems that this could create would be interference with the door opening and hitting the ceiling - depending on the hinge side.

I suspect that CA didn't want to deal with that so they didn't provide the same ability for doors as for windows.

Note that you can use a "Tudor" half arch and manually set the height of the arch to the needed dimension.  It's not going to automatically match the roof but if you know the pitch it's not difficult to figure out.

Just be sure the hinge side is at the tall edge of the door.

9 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Note that you can use a "Tudor" half arch and manually set the height of the arch to the needed dimension.

That looks like a good solution - better than mine, I think. Auto-framing, however, is a mess (the left is mine, the right is Joes'):

Capture.thumb.PNG.c8b8a4d57c7b2e62a4fec5131c43c591.PNG

19 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

One of the problems that this could create would be interference with the door opening and hitting the ceiling - depending on the hinge side.

I suspect that CA didn't want to deal with that so they didn't provide the same ability for doors as for windows.

Joe..............This is one of the few times I totally disagree with what you say. It's CA's job to "try" and give us a program that is able to give us what we can do in the "real" world. Then let US figure out how to do it correctly. A lot of CA's problem with certain parts of their program is that they try to do all the thinking for us with all the "auto" features. I suppose to the inexperienced person the auto features is a plus, but for me, I need "options". I will have to admit though the auto framing is much help in that it gives you a "starting point" to work from.

As for using a Tudor "half arch". Where do I find this? There is a Tudor arch, where you can make the radius "0", then set the height difference from one side to the other. How do you use the Tudor arch feature and only clip the corner of a door?5b6457e927d65_clippeddoor.thumb.JPG.6794eb18aedf700f0842f38555a3cd0c.JPG

Thanks again for your respected time and advice. It's always appreciated.

Hi Larry,

I don't disagree with you at all.  I was simply stating what I think might have been CA's reasoning for why they didn't make that feature available for doors.

As far as only clipping a corner of the door using a Tudor Half Arch - that isn't possible.  It only works for the full width of the door.

I also agree that CA should give us the ability to "over-ride" their built-in restrictions so that knowledgeable users have more flexibility. 

However, it isn't always easy to program these options.  There can be hundreds or even thousands of places in the code that have to be tweaked to make it work.  Chief is a very large amount of program code and probably not nearly as modular as it needs to be.