wrong colored deck rim joist ....

JoeinNorCal

Thanks all!  It's fixed.  Not correctly, but it works for me.  ALL my deck railings happen to be "interior railings."  That one just didn't have the correct exterior material.

As to the project...  This is my FIRST project in Chief.  One of the hardest things was that the 2nd floor is actually a split level, with two different floor heights.  And my 4th floor is actually a combination of Floors 4 and 5.... 

On the other hand, I am learning more quickly than the local building department is able to process permits, and the market is screaming hot, so going slowly has, ironically, been to my benefit, even with expensive borrowed money.....  

But the little technical challenges have sometimes driven me insane.

Nice to know I'm not the only one, and that this forum is probably my saving grace.     THANK YOU ALL !

I took a quick look at the deck in question and... 

FYI, I have never seen a 6" I joist?  

You'll need something structural to support the cantilevered deck.

You might want to drop the deck about 4" below the door sill...

And 1/2" deck planking over 3/4" foam???

If you want someone to go over this project with you, let me know...

2 hours ago, JoeinNorCal said:

This is my FIRST project in Chief.

That's incredible! I wouldn't want to tackle this one if I was a newbie (or an oldie) to the program, especially in a time crunch, and I have been using Chief since '97! Decks aren't exactly my favorite item to work in CA.

On 7/17/2018 at 9:07 AM, JoeinNorCal said:

Thanks all!  It's fixed.  Not correctly, but it works for me.  ALL my deck railings happen to be "interior railings."  That one just didn't have the correct exterior material.

But the little technical challenges have sometimes driven me insane.

I would suggest as good practice that you draw exterior decks with the exterior railing tool and interior decks with the interior railing tool.  Chief sees both of these as different funcitons, and in the past I have seen problems arise similar to this.  One example was someone used the exterior railing tool for interior railings and was not getting the right finish around the floor edge, even with the correct wall type.  Chief was constantly trying to make that interior room a deck, and there was some buggy code that may have been reslolved since.  But best be safe and use the tools as they are described.

I'm a 10 year user and I still go insane with some of Chief's erratic problems, you are not alone.