Drop Box Functionality

dshall

I am on a MAC.  All of my files are on drop box.  I have a folder within my drop box folder called CLIENT SHARED DROP BOX FOLDER.  I have a folder within the shared client folder for putting the printed pdf files so my client can access the printing.  

When I save a pdf,  I save a copy in my own drop box folder,  and then I make a copy and put it in my clients shared drop box folder.  I do not always remember to make a copy of the pdf to share with my client.

So what if I make an ALIAS  of the PRINTING FOLDER IN MY DROP BOX  (remember I am on a MAC),  and I put that alias folder into my clients shared drop box.  My client now has access to all of the printing in my drop box folder,  and I do not need to remember to copy the pdf file and put it in my client's shared drop box folder.

Problem:  my client can now delete those files.  Solution.....  lock the folder,  this way the client can copy the pdf but he can not delete the pdf files.  Problem with this is to add or take anything out of the shared drop box folder,  I must unlock and then relock folder to add or delete anything.  

I do not know if having to unlock and relock the folder is any quicker or easier than simply copying the pdf into the shared folder.

Any comments?  I am trying to simplify my methods.

I suppose what I am wishing is that I can add to my printing folder within my own drop box without have to unlock and relock the folder.  Not CA's issue,  more of a drop box issue,  just wondering if anybody has a solution to this.

I share with a client on Google Drive and allow them to delete files with no harm to either my system or his. 

When he deletes files it lets me know the file is on their computer or it's now time to upload a newer version as our relationship is one where I'm constantly updating and changing for his approval. I don't know the nature of your relationship but maybe it's not a problem that needs fixing?

No, you just send a link to the folder. The client can view/download whatever you put in the folder. I'll send you a message with a link so you can test the functionality.

I think you are missing the point.  I have already shared the folder with him.  It is a matter of putting a pdf in a folder in my drop box,  and not allowing him to alter what is in the drop box.

There is a difference between "linking" and "sharing" in Dropbox. Links allow the recipient to view and download the content, but not alter or delete it. Were you able to delete or alter the content in the folder link I sent you?

There is a difference between "linking" and "sharing" in Dropbox. Links allow the recipient to view and download the content, but not alter or delete it. Were you able to delete or alter the content in the folder link I sent you?

Oooh,  I get it,  hey thanks Robert,  I will give it a try.

But now that I think of it,  that would mean I would have to send him a new link for each project I send him.  I do many jobs for him during the year.  

As of now,  I simply put a NEW CLIENT folder in HIS DROP BOX,  no need to share a new folder.

No perfect solution......  I am trying not to think as much.......

Create a dropbox folder for your client. Create a smany subfolders as you want. Send the client a link to the parent folder and they can access everything in the parent folder, including subfolders.

Yes,  that is what I have now.  But I do not save MY STUFF to his folder.  I have a separate folder where I save his stuff.  

But you have me rethinking my process.  If I send him a link to MY/HIS FOLDER,  which has only his stuff in it (no other clients info),  he can access all of his files,  but he cannot alter them.  That is essentially the goal.

Now I must reconcile the fact that he will have access to ALL of the info in MY/HIS FOLDER.  May be doable,  I just have to consider if I ever put anything in his folder,  which is also MY FOLDER with all his stuff in it,  do I have a problem with him viewing any of the info.......  maybe not.  Thanks for your thoughts Robert.

Not completely a solution I was hoping for,  but might not be a problem.

Dropbox also has an added feature, for a price, that allows any file that has been deleted to be restored. This was developed because people were "accidently" deleting files and then realizing it was their only copy. I can't remember what this added feature is called but it might be solution for you.