Whatever Happened To The Full Masonry Fireplace And Chimney?

Electromen

Go to solution Solved by Electromen,

and build a room around it and set the room ceiling height and roof pitch and then found that the wall properties roof overhang control doesn't work and then draw a pline solid for the chimney n then manually set the roof plane overhangs every time you rebuild the roof and then set the fascia and.......

IDK why the FP places behind the sheetrock? Or why I need to draw an opening? Or why the roof overhangs aren't controlled by the roof overhangs setting in the wall properties dialogue. 

Its annoyed me for years, both the roof overhangs, which they tell is not a bug, it just doesn't work (LOL?) and the fireplace behind the sheetrock and the chimney (or lack thereof).

I'll go back thru the thread and review some of the methods posted, at least I can learn a new way to take too long doing something that should be simpler :)

mckennedy,

It might help if you were to attach a plan. From what you describe it sounds like your complaining about having to build things that you SHOULD be building. Don't you need a chimney chase (or a room...obviously with a ceiling definition) and a roof or chimney cap (or a roof of one type or another), and what makes the overhang for a fireplace roof any different than a normal roof (in other words, do you have this much trouble with all your roofs)?

I guess I don't see where all the trouble is. Either build a room with a pass-through for fireplace insert (just like you would in the real world), or build it with primitive solids and cut an opening...again, just like you would in the real world. How on earth is Chief supposed to know the footprint and opening dimensions for your existing fireplace or new chase, and how is it supposed to know how tall to make that chase and what kind of cap or roof it's going to get, or what the walls are constructed of? What about the shape of the chimney itself? List could go on. Point is I'm not sure what you expect and without a plan or at least a screenshot it's impossible to help you.

M - Its not really "all the trouble", its just the lack of a need for any of the trouble. 

I guess it would make sense to need to frame an opening for every door and window symbol as well, glad we don't have to though.

And light switches and wall receptacles.

What was infuriating is being told that the roof overhang setting in the wall properties is working correctly.

I really like being able to autobuild roofs, too bad my chimney room roof cant be auto built using the parametric controls. I'm glad that at least the gable and pitch tools work.

Are you familiar with a system where bathtubs are mounted after sheetrock and metal fireplace inserts behind sheetrock?

I love chief, I may be one of the longest term user s they have, having started with a beta of v2 on floppy, but the little annoyances are, well, a little annoying :)

At the end of the day, as I said earlier, I'll review some of the links posted and learn some new ideas, but, I use CA in real time with clients, so being able to place things quickly and correctly, without a lot of tweaking, bumping, nudging zooming, snapping is helpful.

IMHO, there are enough homes with wood chase chimneys and fireplace inserts that it might warrant a tool like the dormer tool.