Blending color to texture

Larry_Sweeney

Working on a new project and I have a roof where I'm exposing T&G decking on top of timber trusses. Inside the decking is unpainted. On the overhangs the decking is painted. I'm using one roof with unpainted decking where it can be seen from the inside. On the overhangs I'm using the same roof with painted decking to match the rest of the exterior painted surfaces. To get the painted decking I "blended" a color to the original decking color and changed the name of the decking material. The problem is when I look at the material in camera view the decking material on the overhangs has not changed color. I've tried using the eyedropper to change the color also to no avail. I'm at a lost to what is going on. Any help will be much appreciated.

Green Pool House and Pavilion.zip

Eric...............Thank you. You "pulled through" again! I was hoping I was just missing a setting. I unchecked that box for the upper roof also, but I lost the decking material altogether.

Strange, because the lower roof was derived from the upper roof at the start. Have a great day.

2 hours ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Eric...............Thank you. You "pulled through" again! I was hoping I was just missing a setting. I unchecked that box for the upper roof also, but I lost the decking material altogether.

Strange, because the lower roof was derived from the upper roof at the start. Have a great day.

Why are you doing the Roof plane in two pieces though?   maybe I need to play more?

51 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Mick...........One roof plane has unfinished wood for the roof decking on the inside of the rooms. The other roof plane has the decking painted for under the overhangs.

That isn't necessary , you have the Soffits turned OFF on both Roof planes , and the material is 0" thick Opening -No material, which  = invisible , which is why you don't have a White overhang..... so

1. Delete the upper Roof plane
  2. stretch the lower Up and open it's DBX
  3. uncheck use Room Finish
  4. check use Soffit and change the Material to Fir Decking - Lemon Chiffon and make it 3/4" thick  ( I changed it to my own Soffit material it painted better , left in attached plan.)
  5. hit Edit Ceiling and assign the Fir Decking   ( change the texture size to something like 36"x36" to give you 1x6, it is currently 180"x180"  so you get very wide boards in 3D)

Let me know if I missed a step... Plan attached......................Pool House & Pavilion-MHD.plan

8.thumb.JPG.437f07ff0b99025574308ea711a82b71.JPG

• Upvote 1

Mick................Thanks so much for your help. It's all in understanding the program. Your directions were right on. I had to play around a little with your directions so the decking would sit on top of the trusses, but that was manageable  I was able to download your  plan and look at it in plan view, but as soon as I tried a camera view CA would freeze. I was able to open a cross section, but as soon as I clicked on the roof CA would freeze up. I'm using X10 with the latest update. I don't know what was going on. What I was trying to find out from your plan version was what material you were using for you soffit material. Is it something in CA's library? I was looking in there but I'm unable, up to this time, to find a v-groove decking material. One other question. I'm going to be blocking between the timber trusses on top of the 8x8 sill beam, but the painted soffit doesn't go back far enough..  5aacfe8d97b2f_RAFTERDETAIL.thumb.JPG.aacf4a3f783b4d24d772310ffb70ba21.JPG    Is there a way to make it reach the blocking?

I Cut the hole through the Wall to see the Soffit with the Wall Layer Tool , , try turn that Layer back on so you can see the "Tool" ...... a Toaster :)   and delete it , see if that is the Issue.

I made some T&G Symbols a While Back and also have Seafield's  Square Groove T&G Texture he posted a few weeks back and a White 2x6 White Decking , I have used for many years which was a CA Deck Material, possibly originally? ... I'll bundle them Up and post them here , since apparently you can't get them out of the Plan like I though you'd be able too.

The Issue with the Roof Plane not touching the Truss is simply the location of the Truss and due to your Wall Type/Beams causing the Roof Plane Base Line to build in the Wrong Place. Is this how it is actually Built? Are the Beams not Flush to the Outer Brick line?  The Base Line can be moved in or out and Up or Down easily but 1st you need an Accurate Wall and Beam Layout, before you start moving things around. Maybe good to do a read of the Help File on (Roof) Baseline and how it works....

the Default Location......

The Baseline

The pitch direction and initial height of any roof plane - manual or automatic - is determined by its Baseline.

The Baseline of the roof plane is normally located over the outer main layer of the wall and is used as the pivot point for the roof plane when the pitch is changed.

The Baseline height is determined by the following formula:

Elevation of the wall top plate

+ Vertical Structure Depth

- Vertical Birdsmouth Depth

= Baseline Height

In a cross section, the Baseline is located directly above the outer surface of the main wall layer, at the top surface of the roof framing.

12.thumb.JPG.c7d32751358101eea1d3e0976bc3b7ad.JPG

A roof Baseline displays as a separate line within its roof plane when the “Roofs, Baselines” layer is turned on. In 3D views, it can only be seen if the roof plane is selected.

• Upvote 1

Mick........... I feel I have a good understanding of CA's "baseline". The issue I was having with the decking height on the truss was just a matter of correcting the baseline height. I've come to the conclusion the soffit stops at the face of the exterior layer and there is no changing that. The only way I see to work around the soffit problem is to revert back to two separate roof planes again or change the position of my blocking. The offset of the 8x8 on top of the wall is a detail that is on other building on the property and the client would like it on this building also. Thanks for all great advice. It's very much appreciated. Have a great day.

16 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Mick........... I feel I have a good understanding of CA's "baseline". The issue I was having with the decking height on the truss was just a matter of correcting the baseline height. I've come to the conclusion the soffit stops at the face of the exterior layer and there is no changing that. The only way I see to work around the soffit problem is to revert back to two separate roof planes again or change the position of my blocking. The offset of the 8x8 on top of the wall is a detail that is on other building on the property and the client would like it on this building also. Thanks for all great advice. It's very much appreciated. Have a great day.

So the Beam is setback 2-3" from the edge of the Brickwork ? Centered on the Wall below? how it it weather protected?  , or maybe it isn't? just the overhang so no water up there?

Soffit Builds back to the Main Wall Layer normally or perhaps the Wall Sheathing now? I think there was some Changes in X9 or X10 but CA treats Brick Walls differently , usually the Outer Layer of Brick is the Main Layer , (so Brick Walls will Align Properly with Foundations etc I think ) so we can use that to Our advantage and make your Outer Brick in two layers , And outer 2" Layer say? , and an Inner 1 5/8 Layer ( depth would be based on Beam Placement) and Push the outer 2" Layer to the Exterior Layer in the Wall Definition .  However, not having experimented Further I am not sure What Else it mucks up if anything doing that, and you need to move and re-Align the two (Ceiling) Beams.

21.thumb.JPG.bd0fca5a67319c254bdc628c1ec2e56f.JPG22.thumb.JPG.563004ba8a688e13c032c1f37a2d43b2.JPG

Mick...............In #7 thread I show an attach picture showing a "cap" on top of the brick. The brick are well protected under the overhangs. On the gable ends there will be additional details for protection. I just haven't got there with the model yet. . I was looking at that idea earlier. It seems that no matter what material is at the exterior, the soffit stops at the exterior face of the wall. I'll play with your idea a little later I'm end to other areas of the design right now. 

11 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Mick...............In #7 thread I show an attach picture showing a "cap" on top of the brick. The brick are well protected under the overhangs. On the gable ends there will be additional details for protection. I just haven't got there with the model yet. . I was looking at that idea earlier. It seems that no matter what material is at the exterior, the soffit stops at the exterior face of the wall. I'll play with your idea a little later I'm end to other areas of the design right now. 

Okay now I see that angled Block , it is not in the Plan I have....

Look at my pics again, if you adjust the wall definition the Soffit will carry to the Beams.... but it may effect other things in your model? so I'd advise looking into it early in the design as it may make a difference in how you "build" the rest of the model as it will shift the walls outwards.

BTW Chief has crashed 4 times this morning while playing with your plan and those Trusses...not sure if it is linked yet but I've had no issues till this Plan , not even the Beta.

Mick.

Mick.............I'll take some time and look close at you idea. The only crashes (lock ups) I've had is when trying to work with the plan you sent me as I stated earlier in a thread. Hmm---------strange isn't it! I've not had any problems working on my plan with crashes. Just seems odd we'll both having issues with plans sent to each other. It may be my trusses on your end. Before I made them into symbols I converted them to solids so I could get the textures on all the faces of the trusses correct. It was a real pain, but as p-solids the textures were going in a sorts of directions. I wish there would be a way to correct that without making them solids and changing each face.

34 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Mick.............I'll take some time and look close at you idea. The only crashes (lock ups) I've had is when trying to work with the plan you sent me as I stated earlier in a thread. Hmm---------strange isn't it! I've not had any problems working on my plan with crashes. Just seems odd we'll both having issues with plans sent to each other. It may be my trusses on your end. Before I made them into symbols I converted them to solids so I could get the textures on all the faces of the trusses correct. It was a real pain, but as p-solids the textures were going in a sorts of directions. I wish there would be a way to correct that without making them solids and changing each face.

I remember a Post by Michael  @Alaskan_Son  about doing that with Wood Grains , perhaps in the Tip Forum? but  I don't remember if it was Solids or What? he may have some ideas ont he above issues too....lets see  :)

M.