Stairs with drywall handrails with cutouts in the walls

redThomes

There are so many variables to stair building that I don't see how Chief could ever cover it all with a dialog box.  There could definitely be some improvement though.  I for one just wish we could explode more parametric objects so we could use the automated features for the rough designs and then just turn it off or convert to primitives for perfecting the details.  Here's how we build a typical set of stairs for whatever its worth...

3 hours ago, dskogg said:

Mick, if the stair is not butted up to framing but only flush with drywall there is nothing to hide stringer.

around here many stairs are built using 2x10, 2x12, they are kept away from studs so drywall can slip by and then a cap is placed on stringer scribed to wall, then carpet is attached to inside of stringer and tucked under cap and treads and risers are carpeted as well.

if I wanted to bury stringer in wall I would push stair flush with studs.

just my two cents.

cheers

In Chief if you "Show the Wall Stringer"  , you are actually showing the Stair Baseboard ( Kicks or if old school also called a "Stringer" in some parts) which is always On the Drywall not buried. It is not the Cut Stringer (the notched 2x12 , also called a Carriage or even Horse in the US) below the Treads and Risers, this is never seen in a Closed Stair so Chief doesn't even built them , you see the Tread and Riser material whether it is hardwood or Carpet etc.

Prebuilt Factory Made stairs are a different matter and Chief does not model these housed/or mortised Stinger type Stairs specifically but it gets close enough , perhaps it is these you use commonly? , I don't personally, I build all my own, for Closed Stair types , and also space them with a 2x off the framing giving them room for Drywall and the Baseboard to slip down the side.

M.

27 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

There are so many variables to stair building that I don't see how Chief could ever cover it all with a dialog box.  There could definitely be some improvement though.  I for one just wish we could explode more parametric objects so we could use the automated features for the rough designs and then just turn it off or convert to primitives for perfecting the details.  Here's how we build a typical set of stairs for whatever its worth...

Just like I build them too except I use Ply for Risers and Treads .....not a fan of OSB or it's smell :) , The space on the side depends on the final finish if I know it when building if not I leave the full 1/ 1/2" for drywall and base/kicks to slide in. We quite often have to provide Fire blocking at the stringer line too eg if the Closet underneath also houses the HWT.

You are right it would be a good video for @Brian_Beck and @Dermot to see how things are done ITRW, nice work once again M.

M.

I would say 90% of stairs built for homes and multi-family here in canada are pre-built by a stair manufacturer.

You can request a cut out stringer but it is far more common to have a routed dimensional stringer with perhaps

a 1" plywood tread and 1/2" plywood riser, then it is glued and nailed together and shiims are placed on the underside

of both riser and tread to keep these tight and squeak free.

I am surprised that prebuilt stairs by a manufacturer aren't the norm out there?

I think if ca just gave us control of stringer sizes then we could use what is common in our own areas.

They may need to reverse those Names :)  I know the Housed (Western) Stringer is popular back East ...

maybe Carpenters Out there just can't do the math :P:lol: , it's cheaper for the Framer to do Rough Stairs,

the benefit is also that they are there for whole Construction , and nobody has to access upper floors via ladder etc.