cv2702

Moving the bottom newel

How do I have the bottom newel land on the last stair instead of on the ground?

5a133a209322c_Bottomstairnewel.thumb.jpg.0ef3d3964dbe97521139e27307722ca2.jpg

Best to remove the auto railings ( uncheck left / right railings in dbx)  and the draw your own railing as needed and make sure the Follow Stairs box is checked...

here it is done inside.... but would assume same outside....

Capture31.JPG

9 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Best to remove the auto railings ( uncheck left / right railings in dbx)  and the draw your own railing as needed and make sure the Follow Stairs box is checked...

Gave manual ramps a try but got into a different issue.  I'm thinking it may be because the stair attaches to a deck with railings, as opposed to regular walls.

Auto ramps put the bottom newels on the floor/terrain, but get the upper part done ok:

5a13c5acc9cee_Autoramps.thumb.jpg.25eef98711bb37c3f1435bf5beaa6c2d.jpg

Manual ramps on my plan produce 2 anomalies. First, it sets a newel on the upper step, short of the edge of the deck:

5a13c5ad44f2b_Manualramp-nojoinattop_1.thumb.jpg.cdb8f47625179ca909178bde9b9c8e2a.jpg

Second, the deck's railing creates the opening for the stair but doesn't put a newel to which the stair's ramp can attach to:

5a13c5abd2c5a_Manualramp-nopostonintersectingrail.thumb.jpg.25a7f976a17d8859bef1e0968a93443c.jpg

So for now, I've reverted back to auto ramps. but any suggestions to get the manual ramps going will be welcome.

9 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Make the bottom step a landing?

The issue I ran across with this approach is that I couldn't customize the landing to make it look exactly like a step.

9 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Capture31.JPG

Did this work for you?  I don't use Ramps unless I need a Ramp , so I'm not much help with that method.....

seems to work on exterior stairs too...  here is the auto rail and then one I drew....

M.

Capture41.JPG

Capture42.JPG

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Did this work for you?  I don't use Ramps unless I need a Ramp , so I'm not much help with that method.....

seems to work on exterior stairs too...  here is the auto rail and then one I drew....

M.

I now see a pattern with manual ramps.  If the stair's ramp is parallel to the deck's ramp, the two rails will join.

5a146951c1eef_Deck-stairrailparallelwithdeckrail.thumb.jpg.e25c927d854ab401302f99fe56653f92.jpg

But perpendicular ramps won't join:

5a146950e1270_Deck-stairrailperpendiculartodeckrail.thumb.jpg.501be9b96676d175a49aaabc8bc7d6de.jpg

... and in this case, notice that the top newel sits on the top stair, not on the deck.

I verified this with interior stairs and it's the same issue.

Auto ramps don't exhibit this issue, but you can't control where the bottom newel sits: it will sit on the floor.