johnny

Truss issue

Recommended Posts

I have a condition were a attic firewall needs to sit between trusses.  I'm trying to get the truss to not be fully across the wall below which is a double firewall.  When I drag the end of the truss where I need it the truss simply snaps back to the original size.  When I select the truss not to rebuild, and then move the truss end back the shape of the truss isn't correct.

 

I also included an example.  What is in red is what I want the truss to build to.  In blue is the truss im getting snapped to.

 

Any help is appreciated.

truss.png

truss_example.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite getting the whole picture but you can adjust the truss envelope in cross section and you can do almost whatever you need in custom framing in the truss detail if you unlock it.  I assume you dragged in plan view.  Hope that helps a bit.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Not quite getting the whole picture but you can adjust the truss envelope in cross section and you can do almost whatever you need in custom framing in the truss detail if you unlock it.  I assume you dragged in plan view.  Hope that helps a bit.

 

Thanks Chop - that worked.  I was trying to open the truss profile thinking to edit it there and it wasn't working.  Its a section I needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, johnny said:

 

Thanks Chop - that worked.  I was trying to open the truss profile thinking to edit it there and it wasn't working.  Its a section I needed.

That is my bread & butter, but don't forget sometimes you need to move timbers (2x) to finalize a truss and that is accomplished with the profile. 

 

Also if I want to show a truss cantilever, I'll break the profile polygon (in section) over top of the cantilever wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

JP,

How are you getting those truss connector plates? (Manually?!)

 

If you are talking about the illustration that is just a 2D illustration from an online source I referenced for firewall assembly design when you have to break the span direction of a truss.  Is that what you mean?

 

I will say i've hired Michael to do some modeling and he does the connectors and hangers all in 3D which are pretty cool.  His models are incredibility detailed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, johnny said:

 

If you are talking about the illustration that is just a 2D illustration from an online source I referenced for firewall assembly design when you have to break the span direction of a truss.  Is that what you mean?

Okay. I assumed it was something you drew in Chief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27470
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    CAJNENT
    Newest Member
    CAJNENT
    Joined