Shower Door Threshold Question

ACADuser

Using the frame-less shower doors and a "no curb" style shower presents a problem.
If the owner wants to place a mat, rug or towel outside the door when showering the door needs to clear the object while opening.
You could use a shallow strip of marble, granite or tile as a threshold. I would think a 1/2" tall or less would suffice.
The doors have no wipe or maybe a 3/8" wipe.
Without a wipe the gap plus threshold would clear most bathroom throw rugs I would think.
If the door has a wipe then the threshold height becomes critical.
I was thinking a 1/2" would be a minimum height for the threshold.

Mind you the shower is not dropped in some cases. Just a slope to drain starting behind the threshold.

Just curious for your thoughts and experiences on this design.

Thanks

PS in my shower I use a strip of Travertine about 3/8 tall & a door with a wiper

shower.JPG

3 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

In the Bay Area, California, to do a curbless shower there has to be two drains and the bathroom floor needs to be waterproofed as well. The second drain acts as overflow in case the primary drain becomes clogged before the trap. 

I've never had this required with a linear drain. Maybe a good idea, but I don't see a double drain in the code.

9 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I've never had this required with a linear drain. Maybe a good idea, but I don't see a double drain in the code.

its been local adoption from Oakland and Berkeley specifically. 

this was given to me by someone at the Oakland desk:

59c51d0f25cfb_CurblessShower.thumb.PNG.eb4f08a55835e366545ab0c8b0adb966.PNG

and I just finished an ADU at Berkeley from the head of planning that would not allow a curbless shower unless the bathroom floor was waterproofed and 2 line drains were in place as described.

with the "Ghost ship" fire in Oakland, and the Berkeley deck tragedy last year both cities have become more stringent in their interpretation of the code

4 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

with the "Ghost ship" fire in Oakland, and the Berkeley deck tragedy last year both cities have become more stringent in their interpretation of the code

Berkeley. :rolleyes:  I have no problem with a stringent interpretation of the Code. I DO have a problem with building departments making stuff up that's not in the Code in the first place.