Chris_Kelly

3ds export problems

Hey guys,

So I am trying to export a house model as a 3ds to upload to sketchfab. This file has been passed around to a few different people before it got to my desk, so I have had a few issues with missing materials. I thought I had taken care of it, but when I try to export it I get a few warning messages saying "3DS export error: face missing material description. the surface could not be exported." Since I believe this is what is screwing the model up once it gets to sketchfab, this is a problem. 

Is there any way of finding out which face is missing a material? I am at a loss for a solution to this short of looking through the model and searching for it, which doesn't seem to be too feasible. 

I am also getting a message saying "3DS export error: K-3639 Ar exceeds vertex limit of 65535"  Neither of these error messages have anything when I click on check knowledge base.

3 hours ago, Chris_Kelly said:

Hey guys,

So I am trying to export a house model as a 3ds to upload to sketchfab. This file has been passed around to a few different people before it got to my desk, so I have had a few issues with missing materials. I thought I had taken care of it, but when I try to export it I get a few warning messages saying "3DS export error: face missing material description. the surface could not be exported." Since I believe this is what is screwing the model up once it gets to sketchfab, this is a problem. 

Is there any way of finding out which face is missing a material? I am at a loss for a solution to this short of looking through the model and searching for it, which doesn't seem to be too feasible. 

I am also getting a message saying "3DS export error: K-3639 Ar exceeds vertex limit of 65535"  Neither of these error messages have anything when I click on check knowledge base.

The Kohler catalog has several items that exceed Chief exporting capabilities...delete your toilet and use a generic one and retry

Also post your plan file for the material problem

That was a great tip Rene. I am no longer getting the message about the vertex limit. I am still getting two messages about faces missing materials, and the model isn't loading properly to sketchfab. How do I figure out which faces are missing a material?  I sent the file to a zipped folder, but it is still 41 mb, and it is 154 mb before zipping. Is there another way to upload it?

Use Google Drive Or OneDrive and post the Public Link to it , so others can download and look at it.

M.

You Google Drive Link works Chris , but you really need someone like Rene to look at it , I am no expert on Exporting Chief Files sorry....

M.

On 7/13/2017 at 7:06 AM, Chris_Kelly said:

That was a great tip Rene. I am no longer getting the message about the vertex limit. I am still getting two messages about faces missing materials, and the model isn't loading properly to sketchfab. How do I figure out which faces are missing a material?  I sent the file to a zipped folder, but it is still 41 mb, and it is 154 mb before zipping. Is there another way to upload it?

23 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Use Google Drive Or OneDrive and post the Public Link to it , so others can download and look at it.

M.

If exporting to sketchfab, the texture files can be easier to manage if you use placemarker textures...Always use the stock chief textures and then change the texture to your custom ones when in sketchfab..this will ensure your success on the import

On 7/14/2017 at 2:17 PM, Chiefer said:

Are these the missing materials?

zfile.thumb.jpg.3758f049332207e9424f22bbbb6ac115.jpg

That must be it; how did you get to that dialog box? I did the missing files check and nothing is coming up. I'll take a look at the jennair objects in the plan though.

On 7/14/2017 at 3:18 PM, Renerabbitt said:

If exporting to sketchfab, the texture files can be easier to manage if you use placemarker textures...Always use the stock chief textures and then change the texture to your custom ones when in sketchfab..this will ensure your success on the import

I usually do, but like i said at least two other people have worked on this file before I got my hands on it.

2 hours ago, Chris_Kelly said:

That must be it; how did you get to that dialog box? I did the missing files check and nothing is coming up. I'll take a look at the jennair objects in the plan though.

I usually do, but like i said at least two other people have worked on this file before I got my hands on it.

That dialogue pops up anytime a user who does not have those files in the referenced location opens the plan file. Jenn Air is an appliance catalog so you should be able to just paint a grey on all appliances and go from there