CJSpud

Roof Planes Won't Square Up at Ridge

This green house I am working on is giving me fits.  Noticed that some of the edges were out of square so fixed them ... then saw that the roof planes' connection of the ridge was also out of square.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why the two roof planes won't join up square.  Any help is most appreciated.  Attached is the plan,

GH3Doverview.thumb.JPG.62d39359537f49a4c95f20b0a58c595f.JPG

B&KGX9GreenHouse.zipB&KGX9GreenHouse.zip

Are your baselines correct?

Thanks Eric .... one is REALLY BAD.  Not sure how it got that way.

Nope. Look at the one for the glass roof.

6 minutes ago, solver said:

Are your baselines correct?

That is the problem,  the roof with the skylights is not square.

Hey Curt,  other than that issue,  nice job.....  I am not sure if I would of done it that way.....  but next time I will....  thanks for the education....

If you are talking about the green house design, this is a work in progress.  The design was actually done by my client - I've just put it into Chief and made it sort of look pretty at this point in time.  I've never done a GH before so this is a new thing for me.  I have a ways to go before this is done.  My client say she wants glass ... not some of the other products available.  Thankfully, she's in a 30 lb. snow load area.  A glass company quoted her for all the glazing ... I am trying to find out how the glass is going to be installed .... type of frames, etc.  I suspect before it is all over, the roof will be much different.  The pitch is less than 3:12 so there will likely be a concern about roofing materials for the non-glass parts. 

Nice start Curt. Google "flush skylight" for some good looking designs.

I would prefer metal roofing on such a low pitch roof but if the client wants shingles you may be able to use a peal & stick underpayment & still use shingles.

My 2¢

Good morning Curt, I am curious... is there some reason why you can't make the roof pitch 3:12?

There are several things with the GH design that need to be worked out.  Prior to my taking on this job, my client solicited a bid from a window dealer for the GH glass.  I came up with the roof pitch by using the dealer's sketch of the L/R heights of the raked glass to be used on the right side of the building.  I have been trying to get information from the dealer about the glass showed in their proposal but they are extremely busy so not sure when I will be getting the information I want.

As far as the roofing materials, right now I am using the same shingle I have on the house.  That could change.  The roof pitch might change.  I have told my client that there could be issues with roofing warranties if the pitch is too flat.

That is what I had guessed...

If it was me, I would design it correctly and let the window guy adjust to your plan.

The "correctly" is the part I am trying to figure out.