Messy plan dimensions

Michael_Lewis

First time poster so take it easy lol. I have come to CA from AutoCAD (roughly 20 years) and have only been using CA for about a month. I have numerous plans partially done. I am having several different problems on different projects. In this instance I am having a problem getting my auto dims to work properly. I have read as much as I can and have been watching all of ya'lls videos pretty much non stop. Do I just need to do manual dims instead of auto? I have included the plan in a zip file. I can only imagine all of the things wrong with my plans and still have so many questions but can start here so I can at least get a construction set out the door.

3500.zip

28 minutes ago, Michael_Lewis said:

First time poster so take it easy lol. I have come to CA from AutoCAD (roughly 20 years) and have only been using CA for about a month. I have numerous plans partially done. I am having several different problems on different projects. In this instance I am having a problem getting my auto dims to work properly. I have read as much as I can and have been watching all of ya'lls videos pretty much non stop. Do I just need to do manual dims instead of auto? I have included the plan in a zip file. I can only imagine all of the things wrong with my plans and still have so many questions but can start here so I can at least get a construction set out the door.

3500.zip

You can also use auto dimensions, and then 'weed out' what you do not want.

Auto interior dims. will put one for each wall in every room, which you will not usually need, and so on.

I use auto exterior dimensions and max out the reach under defaults, otherwise you'll be doing more manual stuff than necessary. Interior auto dimensions are a nightmare, I tried it a few times and never looked back. I would say 80% to 90% of my dimensions are done manually. I personally round to the nearest inch on most of my dimensions but I occasionally drop to 1/2" depending on the situation. That would clean up some of what you are seeing. You may also want to reduce the number size to 4" or 5", you're currently at 6". I would also recommend setting your "locate objects" default for openings to center rather than sides. My personal preference is to use a slash at 3" rather than an arrow, it saves room on those close dimensions.

Thanks guys, if its not to much trouble could yall take a look at my plan and just let me know what jumps out at you as wrong other than dims. I would have some direction to fix some things and get this plan out the door. All good suggestions guys, ill make the changes to the auto and see how it looks, if that doesn't work ill investigate the manual dims some more. Thanks again guys, tremendous help.

Also, Do you use the framing plans and the BOM's on your standard house plans. I find myself not wanting to fudge anything because it will throw off the BOM's or other condocs. I'm usually at a 1/16" precision on dims but then again in ACAD I did the same thing thousands of others did and used nominal 4" Int walls. I have never worked with a program that has all these other features feeding off the plan so I don't know about how precise is necessary. I'm probably overthinking it too, I have a tendency to do that lol. Thoughts???

Just had a quick look...do yourself and your contractor a favor and even up your dimensions where possible.  I don't believe contractors are very fond of fractions of inches unless warranted.  I always try to lay out exterior walls in 2 ft. increments.  Saves waste. And makes for a good layout.

Also, it looks like you're dimensioning to the outside of the siding.  I always dimension to the face of studs since that's how the contractor pulls the dimensions.

Would love to see it when you've got the roof on.

Good luck!

Barb

If I might add, your walls are still Chief Standard walls. IMO they all need some tweaking.
I too am still finding my way with Chief but for me the OSB should always be 1/2" & the Stucco 5/8" or less.
On my block walls I use 1/8" stucco. If you are not using the Material Quantity's then the thickness is just aesthetic.
Personally I don't want to see a this thick stucco layer in plan view.
Also I never dimension to the stucco layer, always to the core of the wall.
Exterior walls I usually move the 1/2" osb to the MAIN LAYER in the DBX so the OSB is dimensioned to & will be flush with the block wall below.

Thank you. I'm used to most of what you said as well. I have always dim from outside of brick or finish on exterior walls though. I have never heard a contractor say anything. I'll check it out though. Yea, I still don't know how to make global changes. Meaning to set wall specifications so anytime I pull up cheif it's set. I keep having to reset them in every drawing file. So many things to learn lol. 

FYI some builders want the wall sheeting overhanging the block stem wall & others want it flush.

But I like to dimension to framing or sheeting for the framers sake.

You can save you new wall definitions to the catalog if you like.

But I save them in a Template Plan & always start a new plan from that template so all your settings are what you want.

The power users here have many ways to automate plan development with templates & Blocks saved in the user catalog.

After 27+ years with Autocad (CAB at TheSwamp.org) & only 1.5 years with Chief I feel like a newbie again.

Sure miss not having LISP though, Rube is a poor alternative.