Trouble With One Texture Showing Through Another On Wall Covering

Joe-King

Thanks to all for this informative thread.

Sometimes, when designing to capture an amenity view on highly sloped terrain, we need to model the next couple of lower slope lots, the neighbors' trees, and building heights plus natural lighting considerations. When doing a 3D overview, we start from outer space. Zooming in shows us the moisture barrier through the siding. I just tell the customer to focus on what we are trying to ascertain - can we develop a floorplan that lives the way you live, and gives you a fabulous view. Sometimes, the foundation can look like the Great Wall of China, so this gives them something to think about on the need to hire a Landscape Architect of Designer. 

I have to do this to get us to a G0-No Go decision.

If it's a Go, then I parse back the terrain and get them to a geotech engineer for the Great Wall of China.

I have my camera clipping at 500"

I don't really care about where 0.0.0 is , but I see a lot of Z fighting on different plans , so was hoping from Lew's comments that perhaps if I made an effort to start at 0.0.0 , it may help with that....otherwise it is not a concern...I don't even use coordinates on any kind off regular basis .

perhaps it's the screen size / aspect ratio?  using a 23" NEC widescreen monitor  all templates, chief's or mine , 0.0.0 , is off the screen , not by miles admittedly  (20-30ft) so may not be the issue causing the z-fighting , but not sure why it isn't the bottom LH corner, if it should be .......who starts drawing in the bottom LH corner anyway?  

guess I'll try the 400" clip distance and see if that helps...

The most common case of z-fighting that I see posted occurs when the terrain or other elements are so large that the house is positioned a long way away from the front clipping plane of the camera.

The algorithm that is used to automatically calculate the front clipping plane is somewhat simplistic, partly for sake of performance, so it doesn't always do a perfect job.

It is rare that I see postings where z-fighting is caused by a plan origin that is a long ways away from 0,0. In cases like that you are likely to see other more severe issues rather than the typical z-fighting as is shown in this post.