Railing not over newel post

Larry_Sweeney

I have a railing wall where I attached a stairs. The stairs made a opening in the wall, as it should, but the railing does not go over the newels at the opening. (attach picture)  I've been playing around with this for a while and I'm not getting anywhere. Is there a fix for this other than adding railing superimposed over the original railing and extending over the post manually?  I haven't work with the program much as of late and I'm a little "rusty", but I don't remember having this problem in earlier versions. I'm hoping there's a simple answer. If not I'll attach the "work in process" plan later.

One other question. I have my 4" railing wall set for 6x6 post every 12'. Is there some way to set a 4x4 post to the rail on 6' centers between these post? Is this also something that needs to be done manually?

newel post caps.JPG

My best guess is that you have "Post to Rail" unchecked on the Rail Style panel.  This means that the railing stops at the post instead of going over the top of it.  It usually looks better if you then adjust the post height so that it is taller then the rail though.  If this does not solve your problem, then you probably need to post a plan for someone to look at.

Regarding the post spacing, you can specify this on the Newels/Balusters panel.

Perry...............................?  Sorry. I don't understand. Can you reference me to a training video as to what you are asking me?

Dermot............................  I do have "Post to Rail" checked. I stated in my original thread I have post (post to beam) on 12' centers, but I want newels (to the hand rail) spaced between the post on 6' centers. If I change my newel post to 6' spacing then the "post to beam" spacing changes to 6'centers. Am I missing something?

I'm posting the work study plan. Please understand, this is a "work study". There are many issues to be ironed out. Number one is the customer's ideas as to what he wants and my ideas as to what he should have and how it should look.  :)

Berlin work study.zip

2nd question, is just to adjust the newel posts in the stair DBX to get your 6' spacing then add the full height post manually.  Or add another no room def. railing wall and slide it right over the existing railing wall you already show. At this point Chief won't do it automatically . you can also do it using symbols or molding polylines. but I think the first way is the easiest.