Glass door + window combined block

mealexmail

Dear colleagues

Yesterday I've spent abt three hours with no result - tried to build glass door built in to a large window module.

Please help me with advice what's the right way to make this (see pic attached)

ps: sure I tried mulled units but it ddint work for me 

2017-04-13_15-42-36.png

That looks a lot like commercial storefront construction. Not sure it can be done in wood as shown. Anyway, one method uses a combination of overlapping windows to build the frame:

1.thumb.PNG.64727384b6a0a07eb25c79b38cba3bf2.PNG

The windows are defined with no casing, no sills, no sash (except for a 1/16" Side Width - very important or the glass won't show up), and 2" frames. The window for the door frame is the same as the others but without the 1/16" side width (this eliminates the glass), and a height that buries the bottom part of the frame into the floor.

Then stick a door into the wall and move it into place so it fits within the window frame. Define it as you like:

2.thumb.PNG.c17320c38c12256e463c4032811f90a4.PNG

There are likely other ways to accomplish this, but it's what I've found gives me the most accurate visual results.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, Robert

I tried bit different way: combined windows (no sills, frames etc) and then tried to put door right in to the place,

And I could tune this combo to look good enough from inside the room.

But outside of the room I got this concrete "frame" around the door block that drives me mad-/

Any ideas to remove it please? 

Also: it's still a way of some cheating and I tried to find kinda "right way". You know, just like stacking window blocks to each other and make it mulled item. But it doesnt work well - each time I get strange 'frames' in between of the blocks (just like with the door described above)

Alex

2017-04-13_19-00-00.png

2017-04-13_19-00-36.png

I've found that trying to create complex assemblies like this by mulling leads to more problems that it's worth; that's why I like to use the method I described in my first post. Regarding the "concrete" piece on the exterior, have you tried un-checking "Fit Frame to Wall"?

I don't have access to Chief for a few days, (I just saw Pattie Smith do "Horses" at the Byron Bay Bluesfest) but I believe those fins can be controlled by a setting called "mullion depth" or something similar - you can use positive and negative numbers ( all from memory - so probably way of track)

ps, we see Santana and Jethro Tull tomorrow! 

Dears, thank you all for your help

I know I could find many ways to keep the appearance looking real.

Just wanted to understand if there's right way like using mulled units or similar to keep phisycal structure right.

Okay then, now I see it doesnt worth it =)

thanks