Cabinet Materials List

IvanCyr

Hello all,

I've been using Chief for a while...mostly modelling.  Schedules and materials lists I'm new at.  I am trying to acquire an accurate materials list for a large number of shelving and cabinets.  All shelving has a 3/8" specific moulding on the front edge of a different material than the shelf.

While using mostly default Chief components, I've been trying to obtain a materials list for the materials involved for cabinets.  I've been somewhat successful.  One can see specific number for hinges and pulls, doors and drawers, but when it comes to specific "boards" or materials for the cabinet "box", there is really only a general dimension of the "box".  I could not see a single item in the material list detailing shelf surfaces.

Is there a way to have chief build a cabinet (or for myself to build it) and have specific board by board material calculations for specific cabinets??

Thanks to those who can to comment.

Ivan

It does not get into the much detail. I'm a cabinet maker myself also, wish it did. There are programs that do though, 

check out ecabinet systems, it might be what you're looking for. Nice renders too. 

Don't know if this helps but you can get loose shelves into the schedule if you make them from wall cabinets.

With the new OIP there are ways to get some information using Ruby into those based on cabinet size, type and configuration but I don't think it would be worth the effort (spreadsheet is easier and schedule can be copied and pasted into one)

Plan with shelf with nosing on just the front and another with it on 3 sides along with the "door symbol" made from a molding line.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.  Probably not interested in Ruby....I can certainly manipulate a spreadsheet to acquire the specific information.  I'm surprised that it doesn't seem to be an option with Chief that goes along with its other great attributes.

Thanks for including the .plan file.  Interesting work around.  It doesn't seem possible to load up say 10 shelves like that into a single full height cabinet....you would end up with 10 call outs all spread out to oblivion!! LOL  Am I wrong here?

I would want one call out to a schedule for one particular type of cabinet with say 5 shelves in it.  I might use that same cabinet 50 times in this project.  The materials list would need to reflect ALL number of shelves and framing components and siding/front components.

Thoughts??

OttawaP...thanks for your comment as well....I might have to investigate other software for this one....or take a pass unfortunately.

Ivan

Hi again Mark,

I played around with the options.  I placed a full height cabinet in your .plan file.  It seems that you can turn off the call outs for those shelves off easily enough...but in the materials list, the references to the shelves are not "inside" that full height cabinet but are completely separate items (which makes sense in how they are created).  That would get hard to track after small changes over this very large project.

If I can't find a more integrated solution, I think we'll have to consider other options outside of Chief unfortunately or take a pass....

Perhaps I'm missing something.....

Ivan

I was under the impression that you had loose shelves, not just shelves in cabinets. Those weren't meant to go into cabinets.

If I had to deal with shelves inside cabinets I'd likely copy schedule into a spreadsheet then set a formula from there based on cabinet type, width, height....(when I was building cabinets I was still drafting with a pencil and happy to just have a sheet optimizer :)

The alternative is Ruby macro in an OIP field based on cabinet configuration, that would be live. If the job is big enough contact one of the custom Macro guys-Joe or Michael.

Again I thought you needed loose shelves.

Ah....well I learned something in the process!!! So no harm done whatsover!!  When you mentioned "loose shelves" I was thinking adjustable!!! LOL

I very much appreciate you taking the time assisting me to understand this better.

All is well, but it seems clear Chief needs a bit of help to make this happen to my requirements.

Ivan

To SRC Designs,

I'd be very interested...it would depend on cost vs what I could develop on my own for my current needs.  I would certainly entertain your thoughts and look forward to seeing a product and how friendly is its user interface.

My thoughts anyway,

Ivan

As a person that uses chief pretty heavily for custom cabinetry I would recommend you use a different software for the manufacturing process.  Chief is great for preliminary designs and can even be used for shop drawings but if you need cut lists,  accurate material lists, and panel optimization you should really use a software more specifically designed for the task.  You can certainly shoehorn Chief into doing the job but I would encourage you to buy a different tool.  You'll just be fighting a constant battle. There are plenty of cabinet manufacturing softwares out there. 

Hey Michael,

That seems to be the concensus...I'm looking precisely at that information, and that is exactly what I've been doing...and that constant battle is on a rather steep slope!

Ivan