Non-standard framing

spbreslin

I'm working on a house with a non-standard post and beam floor structure consisting of 2x6 T&G sub-floor, over 4x10 beams that are resting on another layer of 4x10 beams at right angles. In addition the footings come up to a mudsill that has the subfloor resting on it. Any tips on how to model this? The framing dialogues don't seem to be flexible enough for this structure. When I try to model it in the framing defaults it wants to make the upper layer of 4x10s into an insulation space which prevents me from specifying the member as a fir beam.

If you set your framing default for joists as 4x10 and your beam default as 4x10 it should work fine. You would not want both to be part of the floor structure as it would place them in same direction. Place your lower beams manually and use floor framing defaults for what would be the joist with T&G on them.

Sorry, just realized my spacing is wrong, but you should be able to get the idea...You can do this pretty much automatically by building that with a couple additional floors with nothing but a joist layer (no ceiling height) and then changing the joist direction for one of the floors...I have attached a quick sample plan (please note that you could leave auto framing on with this system but I turned it off just to create the cutaway affect.

Quick example.plan

Non standard.jpg

P.S.  Nothing wrong with doing it manually like the guys suggested above.  Just offering an alternative.  There are other ways to "skin this cat" too but now you should have a couple.  

7 minutes ago, spbreslin said:

Thanks for your help but I'm new to the program

If you like I could give you a quick demonstration to get you started on Skype later this evening with the above suggestions.  Just send me a PM ( Personal Message ) if you are interested.  See the black envelope at top of page for PM's.