How do I add vertical furr strips to exterior walls?

JECORMIER

Hey everyone-

I've been wondering how to add 1x4 p.t. (3/4"x3 1/2") @16" o.c. vertical furr strips as a layer to my exterior walls to provide a rain screen under my hardie board siding. I don't know exactly how to set up the layer with individual strips at 16" o.c.. When I set up the layer it gives me the option of material and thickness but only as a continuous sheathing, not 1x4 vertical strips. I'm sure someone has done this and I'm just missing the obvious answer.  See photo for example...

Thanks for your help in advance!!!

J

Rainscreen.jpg

6 hours ago, JECORMIER said:

Hey everyone-

I've been wondering how to add 1x4 p.t. (3/4"x3 1/2") @16" o.c. vertical furr strips as a layer to my exterior walls to provide a rain screen under my hardie board siding. I don't know exactly how to set up the layer with individual strips at 16" o.c.. When I set up the layer it gives me the option of material and thickness but only as a continuous sheathing, not 1x4 vertical strips. I'm sure someone has done this and I'm just missing the obvious answer.  See photo for example...

Thanks for your help in advance!!!

J

Rainscreen.jpg

JE,

I have not seen that before.  How does that function as a 'rain screen' ?

7 hours ago, jcaffee said:

Thank you for the link.  I had not heard of this, but I can see it being a plus in rainy climates.

Should have been called 'rain vent' rather than 'rain screen' I guess.

We do not see it here in Nor California, as we have an extended dry season, and

things can  dry out nicely.

The rain free early fall here lets wine grapes avoid the dreaded cluster rot that

will set in when bunches get wet.   . .. ..