Controlling Wall Heights At Rooms With Different Roof.

jessde

Go to solution Solved by jessde,

X5 windows 7 pro  newbie

I have adjoining rooms that have different roof heights.

It seems the only way I can put a roof plane on the lower level room is to  add a second ( double wall ) next to the common one at the height for that room.

Is there another way to do this with out adding the second wall?

Also ,it seems that I can only control the wall by selecting the room and inputting a height for all the walls of that room. Is there a way to control an individual wall ? I see if I go to a camera view I can change the wall dimensions but can't find a way to input an exact dimension.

Thanks,

Jess

I can tell you that "Edit-Default Settings-Floor-Structure Tab-Ceiling Height" is where you communicate to the software what the majority of roof baseline heights should be by way of the Ceiling Height setting.

Then where you want a single room to be higher or lower than that default you set that change in that room's (enclosed space) Room Specification Dialog-Structure Tab-Ceiling height input box.

To control a single roof plane over a single wall you can 1. Open it's dialog box, move the "radio button" from its default position by the baseline moving it to lock the pitch value, then add or subtract from one of the other values in the dialog which will manually move the roof plane up or down as you command,

2. Select the roof plane, open the "Transform-Replicate" dialog which has inputs to precisely move the roof plane up or down in the "Z" axis.

In all cases, it is something YOU do and not the software, get out of your head that this software does something, thinks, has judgement or an opinion. It is a sophisticated machine for sure but it only does what it is told when it is told by you; there is a lot to learn and it is all worth learning.

DJP

Thanks DJP for responding and explaining the roof plane control..

Yes I understand setting the wall height by selecting the room. And I understand how to change floor and ceiling heights in each room. 

What I am asking though Is how you change one wall of a room not all of them.

In other words I have three walls of a square room at one height and the remaining wall I want at a different height. I know I can edit a wall in a camera view but I see no way to input accurate dimensions this way.

Am I really that dense or is this not a very intuitive system?

Thanks again for your patient and thorough explanations.

Jess

Make sure temp dimensions are toggled on.

In a Cross Section/Elevation view, select the wall.

Click on the temp dimension and change it.

Or, create a solid rail and enter the height in the Railing Height.

Ok tried selecting wall from a cross section view and was still not able to change a single( one) wall. Any change still effects all walls that form the room of the selected wall.

If I add a railing I'd still be adding an additional wall. What am I missing? 

Thanks,

Jess