Move Component Columns? Change Schedule For Item?

MarkMc

Finally figured out a way to get a semblance of a cabinet schedule I can use, almost. I need to edit the "comment" on a fair number of cabinets to make it work. I'd like to move that column further to the left so I don't have to scroll across for each. Is there a way?

While I'm at it- is there a way to specify what schedule items end up on? There are a number of items (valances, side panels, molding) that would need to be a part of the cabinet schedule but don't want to show up there. I mean that is where they get ordered.

I managed to fudge a few (not molding though) using something else but there ought to be a better way?

the "columns" can be moved by moving them up and down the order in the Options Tab , you can also uncheck columns you don't want displayed.

I believe using sub-categories and then assigning them will let you do some of that but am no expert on Materials lists....

You can also use the "Components list" of Objects/items to  "Use" or not "Use" on the Materials List for most Items eg turning off hinges for every single door or the Door Sill or Frame, (since they come as one unit from the Manufacturer.)

Mick.

I'd tried the material list preferences, thought that had an affect on what showed up in the components for individual items but doesn't for me.

I need to edit the "comments" for specific cabinets- or find another way to add what I need to end up on the schedule?

What am I missing?

post-85-0-69910200-1402177053_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-93434200-1402177061_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-00539000-1402177070_thumb.jpg

Yes in Pref.>Materials>Report style is where you can adjust the order by moving them up and down the order and add sub categories if wanted and decide what categories you want in your materials list BUT you can't edit the Components there, to edit an items components you can select any library item, edit>component , or do the same to any item(object) in your plan. ( maybe other ways too?)  it is in this DBX where you can turn on or off the item's components ,listed in the Materials List , with the "Use" Check Box. Once you select an Object ,you will see a Blue icon on the edit menu that looks like a spreadsheet page.

in your 3rd pic I don't see the comment column? so you can't edit it......   so my guess would be you have it turned off in the (Layer) Display Options ?  (Icon with the checkmark) The Options dialog is useful when you only want to see certain Columns on your materials list once generated IF that category is ON in the Prefs.>Materials>Report style Tab.

Once you have the comment field to work with you can edit it by clicking in it and typing , the description and size field are editable too , Count is NOT but extra is.....

M.

you can alter the Comment field in the Components list (scroll right>)  if desired and many of the other fields too , which would make the Change Permanent rather than per plan for any given object , so you may or may not want to do it in the Components list , though it is still be editable in the Materials list once generated.

M.

you can alter the Comment field in the Components list (scroll right>)  if desired and many of the other fields too , which would make the Change Permanent rather than per plan for any given object , so you may or may not want to do it in the Components list , though it is still be editable in the Materials list once generated.

M.

I don't understand the permanent? I'm editing the comments in the component list for cabinets by selecting them in the plan- does not have an affect on other cabinets I place, perhaps because I already edited the labels?

The jpeg doesn't show the "comments" column simply because I didn't scroll over- I know it is there- that is the problem- have to scroll over for each.

I'm finding nothing in the cabinet DBX that allows me to edit the comments?

Attached is a schedule with comments - this is what I'm after.

I need to:

-have a numbered list that corresponds to the floor plan - have a that which is new for me :) and reordering is easy enough (compared to 2020)

-display cabinet modfications, hinging, and finished sides with the cabinet

If I can keep this live just in CA it cuts down on mistakes, makes checking easier AND eliminates having to edit this all manually elsewhere so can keep it live with the plan.

It doesn't sound like I can get there from here without scrolling across, which is an improvement but time consuming since I have to do it individually.

For brands I carry that support it I can do this in 2020. It adds the mods easily BUT is brutal to reorder the cabinet numbering (besides I avoid using it if I can)

post-85-0-07553800-1402191242_thumb.jpg

FYI

The problem with using the comment field is that if you make a change in the cabinet dimension, after the fact, it will erase the comment field.

This is not a bug but the programed behavior.

Better to use the subcategory field. After you make any dim changes,they will be retained. You can store the "typical cabinet in the library for re-use and your comments will be saved for reuse.

If you alter / add to the comment field for any library item it will be there for every plan (BUT you may need to copy the item 1st as I don't think to can edit "locked" items)....... if you alter it IN PLAN it is only good for that plan I believe....

You can hide any of the unused columns ( not floor) and categories so you don't need to scroll so much and reorder ( move up/down list)  them in the Materials list display Options.....  under the DBX's own Option tab you can also display per floor or per Supplier

post-315-0-26994600-1402194587_thumb.png

for example adding the reqd' Energy rating info for Windows

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01074/236/Chief-Architect/Schedules/Specifying-a-Windows-Energy-Ratings.html

Since you are doing Cabinets , have a look at this one too

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00991/236/Chief-Architect/Schedules/Editing-Cabinet-Components-and-Creating-a-Cabinet-Schedule.html

As I said I am no expert and things maybe different in X6 so you may need to dig into the Reference Manual too.

Mick.

maybe I'm not explaining it well ? so I looked at the KB for more info and found these two articles,,1st one is what I was trying to explain and the second one, last paragraph might help set things up for All Plans by adding things to the Master List once you have it setup for one Plan 1st.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00510/59/Chief-Architect/Materials-List/Controlling-the-Information-in-a-Materials-List.html

and

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00603/59/Chief-Architect/Materials-List/Saving-Changes-and-Prices-Entered-into-a-Materials-List.html

If you didn't find your Comment Column , this maybe your issue....

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00630/94/Home-Designer/Materials-List/How-to-Restore-a-Column-in-the-Components-Dialog.html

Thanks for all the help.

I understand where the components, comments etc are. Just wanted to move or eliminate some.

The only thing I didn't know was that comments (and description and code) change if the cabinet is altered in any way. I'd done this one with a finished plan so didn't run into that.

That sort of leaves me hanging. It may not be a bug but leaves a lot to be desired in my case. No place to add notation to a cabinet and have it stay with it through the endless client revisions.

So moving columns or changing the list wouldn't is moot..

The material list has too many components that I don't want and would have to edit out of each and every cabinet. I read up on that and don't see it as a simpler answer (and from haven't noticed that folks on here are in love with it) But if I'm missing something.

If I get this right- the only place I can add the nomenclature where it will stay put after cabinet size changes is in the label. Meaning I can add mods to a cabinet in the label as they come up and continue to work with the client. That allows having all the mods (notes as it were) in place as discussed and ready for order.

Problem there is the mods can get quite long. The mods shown here are simpler than many, others can  20 characters each. Add a few of those and showing the labels turns into a mess.

I'd hoped to have: a number per cabinet, a readable label, and a legend of the cabinets that relates to the floor plan number.

So it looks as if I can have either ?

-a readable label (without all the mods) but then no numbers and no listing of mods (unless added after all cabinets are not going to change -hah)

OR

numbers and a legend if I add the mods to the label in which case I can end up with labels that are a paragraph long

OR

go back to what I was doing using other programs to manage legend and numbers but get nice labels.

Unless I'm missing something. I'd thought (hoped) that something had changed to finally make something useful possible- guess.

Thanks again,

I suppose this is answered-"no soup for you"  just not sure what to click on if someone else wants to know.

Mark,

I think what is being suggested has some merit. Add a subcategory called "Mods" to the material list under Cabinets. Then just add a "Mods" Accessory to each cabinet. The "Mods" subcategory can be added to your schedule. Hope that's clear.

BTW, you could also add subcategories like "Side Panel", "Valance", etc. and then add these to the schedule as a column. Then just add a "Valance" accessory called "X". The "X" would then show up under the  schedule's "Valance" column.

You might also also consider playing around with setting up the Material List Report to get just what you want for ordering purposes.

I can't figure out how to add information to the  sub category once I have it?

I tried that yesterday, and again today. I get the column in the schedule no problem. 

It doesn't appear in components except as a drop down in the sub category column, same in material list.

In preferences I can add a sub category under categories- no behaviour options

I can check off sub category to show in reports or master list.

The "mods" sub category is not available as a separate option.

What am I missing?

post-85-0-92091700-1402246152_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-11676200-1402246160_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-85387300-1402246172_thumb.jpg

Mark,

I think you may be missing adding the actual text of what you want in the "Description" column on the accessory "mods" row when you open the Components DBX.

EDIT: Also, are you clicking on "Add" in lower left corner of Components DBX? You should be. To be more explicit, when you open the Components DBX of an object, you will ADD an accessory, and set its subcategory to "Mods". Then go to the "Description" column and edit to be whatever you want. Then that description should show up in the Mods column of the schedule. Hope that helps.

OK got it figured out-

I'd been clicking add and only getting sub items lines-. i.e cabinet is C4, select it, click add and I get say C4.8, C4.9 etc.

Nothing added to those sub items lines shows in the legend.

IF however I select another item in the list- like C1 (the countertop!!) and click add then I get a new line C5 (not a sub line of the cabinet)

Then on that new line I can select Mods, type in a description and it shows in the schedule.

This appears to work on any full line in the component list EXCEPT the cabinet itself which is generally down the list. part way. I had one where there was a full line AFTER the cabinet and clicking that also works. SO any full line before or after, just not where you intend it.

Testing this I found that sometimes after adding a few lines then clicking the cabinet adds a new line not that I'd be doing that.

Little more testing and found I can add it clicking blank area below. That was so much fun I thought I'd add another row as a mod. That would make it easier to edit delete a single mod during design. The second line doesn't show. So then I tried adding to the first line expecting to get a sub line as I did on cabinets- doesn't happen can only add a full line.