I am doing a story and a half  addition with a staircase in the rear corner of the addition. Chief balloon frames the walls around the auto generated  stairwell. My Exterior walls are 2"x 6" 16" O.C  which  is more than enough beef to hang the stairs on. I do not want to balloon frame these walls. I tried breaking these walls and doing a frame rebuild to no avail. I want to run plates on top and bottom and rim and band just like the normal floor platform. 

There is nothing structurally wrong with the way chief generates it but it is a lot stronger to frame it the way I want. Instead of using open below I tried using a poly-line and cutting a hole in the floor platform but that is tedious for sure and almost impossible to get everything to line up. if I spent hours I could re-frame in 3D frame view  but that does not  even show up when you do a frame section of the wall.

Any suggestions anyone.?

David,  There may be an elegant solution to this but if you must manually re frame, it is much faster to edit the Wall Detail than to edit in 3D.

....Any suggestions anyone.?

Yes,  put in a floor  (defined as open to below) where you want the break in the balloon frame wall.....

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    KDsnyder
    Newest Member
    KDsnyder

• By SpeleoWorm
      I have created a number of different wall types to show proper dimensions (i.e. when one side of the wall is 5/8" Type X and the other side is 1/2" drywall) as well as to calculate the correct material counts and to show the proper information in the schedules.  Unfortunately doing that seems to have a down side...it changes the framing as if they were separate walls instead of the same wall with different materials on them.  I have seen the following side effects (colors refer to screenshots below):

(Green Arrow) In unfinished rooms such as an attic storage space which only has a subfloor but no drywall, the walls get pushed up into the rafters by what appears to be 3". (Red Arrows) The floor joists and top/bottom plates are cut in the middle when they should be continuous pieces of wood.  In addition, you can see that the walls which are produced are not boxed at the end...the top & bottom plates stick out at the end. (Purple Arrow) Parts of the gable wall are not created.  In this case you could argue that it is not needed, but if a builder makes a wall he is not going to leave a hole in it. (Blue Arrows) An extra stud is added to a room that has no drywall, and therefore doesn't need nailer studs.  In addition, it looks like the other stud needed as a nailer for the finished room in the middle is missing from the plan view of the framing (see 2nd screenshot).  
      Am I doing this all wrong (creating separate wall types), or is there a way to use them and fix (any of) the issues I mentioned?

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS - I am a little surprised that the wall finish is not part of the room settings (like the floor & ceiling already are)...that would allow you to have continuous walls and still have different materials in each room (i.e. greenboard in the bath, 5/8" type X in a garage, unfinished in an attic, etc.

Example of Wall Issue.plan
    • By MichaelJerome
      Hi Again,
      After sending this plan to my engineer he has requested several things that are list in the pdf files.
      I can not combine framing layer 4 and 2 that are basically the same wall but separated. With the headers that the engineer is suggesting I will have to raise the ceiling, roof and trusses. I also need to have a soffit retained over the entry for lighting but have the outside ends match with no boxed soffit.  The are layers in the wall that appear as shapes in the drywall that I cannot seem to find or eliminate.  The windows cannot be lowered since the closet ceiling and the closet roof limit the movement in the wall.  I have drawn red lines for the framing that the engineer has requested but can't place the framing on the same layer. I would appreciate any insight on how to accomplish this so I can get it back to him for review and have accurate details for the layout and city plan review.

Thank you,
      Michael 
      Megale Center Plan 2.7.20.zip
      2nd Wall Layer 4 Megale Center Plan 2.7.20.pdf
      Megale Center Plan 2 2.7.20.pdf
      Megale Center Plan 2.7.20.pdf
      Wall Layer 2 Megale Center Plan 2.7.20.pdf
      Wall Layer 4 Megale Center Plan 2.7.20.pdf
    • By RichM1
      Summary: We're creating a vaulted tray ceiling in a house that started as a double-wide mobile home. I want to model the existing "trusses" so that I can figure out how to do the rafters to frame out the new ceiling. I cannot figure out how to do this though. 

Details: 
      This house started out as a double-wide mobile home. It's been remodeled several times, huge portions added, walls rebuilt in places, rooms moved, walls removed. But the roof structure through the middle of the house is a 2.5/12 pitch, framed as follows: 2x2 rafter, 2x2 joist, 16" OC, with 12" pieces of 1/4" paneling used as gussets every 12". The tall wall has 1/2" plywood as a ridge beam.  I attached a drawing that shows each side. 

I tried changing the rafter and joist settings to 1.5" x 1.5", but it insists on building roof framing with 6" rafters floating above the walls, and framing the tall wall with studs that are in the room wall below. 

I tried to manually draw the framing in like the CAD detail drawing I attached, but I can't figure out how to rotate the 2x2 rafter to the 2.5/12 pitch angle. I figured I'd draw one "truss" manually, and then replicate/copy it across every 16". But after about 6 hours (admittedly I'm new to this app) I still couldn't figure it out. 

I put both sides together, and added the 2x6 rafters and 2x4 cross brace. Then we plan to cut the trusses back flush with the rafters and brace. The wall will be coming out of the middle. There's no code here, unincorporated county, so no building inspection to send this through.

Is there a way I can take this CAD drawing and use it for the actual rafters - extrude the 2D shapes into 3D? 

• By mattradk
      I am using CAX6 and am trying to get the exterior dimensions of a residential structure to reach to the extent just under the siding. From inside to outside, the exterior wall should have 1/2" wallboard, 2x6 stud walls, 1/2" OSB, 2" rigid insulation, and then siding for which I've allowed 1/2". All of the wall components will sit on the platform except for the siding, which should cover the rim joists.

I believe I have the correct dialog box and selections to do it (or maybe not …. see attached screen shot). However, after I make the selections in the Wall Type Definitions dialog box and back out of the dialog boxes leading there, I find that the cross section is incorrect, and the outside of the siding is flush with the platform. If I return to the Wall Type Definitions dialog box to find out why, I find that my selections have not been saved.

I'm careful to make sure that I back out of each dialog box correctly (Clicking OK, OK, Done, etc.) but the changes I make are not saved.

There's probably something I need to select or conditions I have to meet, but darned if I can figure them out after hours of messing with it.

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks!

• By tremhomes
      Is it possible to create a bi level single open web floor truss?  I have a 6" step down shower in the middle of a truss span and cannot create a single truss to show the recess for the shower floor.  Don't know if the x12 can automatically create this or not or if it is possible to manually alter the floor truss.   
      I did create a room for the shower with a -6 floor elevation and tried to draw a truss but is creates a 0 floor elevation thru the shower.