Changing Fixture layer and the label that goes with it

ShaneK

This is true of all objects that have Labels. It would be really nice if the Labels could be assigned to other layers. AFAIK, the only way to do it currently - even with custom macros - is to use a "referenced" macro (text with leader line).

It can also be done with "switches" or "toggles" that are set via the layer name or by using another object containing a global ($name) macro that acts as the switch (using line weight, true/false, etc). As you well know though...it really all depends on exactly what you're after and what level of control and flexibility you want.

Michael,

I know you are "in love" with the "switches/toggles" but IMO using the line_weight or any other "graphic" attribute is a kludge that will only complicate things.  I did that a couple of years ago with "Roof Planes" to create a table showing the areas and pitch of every Roof Plane in a project.  It works, but if just 2 Roof Planes are assigned the same line_weight the data in the table will be incorrect.  I've also used the line_style for other cases but that can only work with Chief's built-in Line Styles because the name and attribute don't match.

In addition, none of the current attributes or Global Variables provide for differences based on the Layer Set.

In addition, none of the current attributes or Global Variables provide for differences based on the Layer Set.

This particular statement isn't totally true. As a simple example, you could add a $toggle macro to a plain polyline label that recognizes the line weight and place that object on a special "Toggle" layer. You can adjust that line weight differently in any given layer set. The resulting value can tell your label how to behave in that particular layer set. In other words, changing the line weight for your Toggle layer will change your labels for other objects with the main label macro.