Cpu choice!

destinedtale

Hi, was choosing a good software for interior design and realized some software don't support hyperthreading and multiple core rendering. I read up on the FAQ and know chief architect do support multi-core, but will a i7 4930K six core have any advantage over i7 4770K 4 core?

CA has consistently stated "the more cores the better"

get as many as you can afford

I was surprised to learn recently that i5 cpu's don't have hyper-threading

i3's are meant for average home use

thus, an i7 (or equivalent) is recommended

Lew

6 cores is better than 4 cores. Hyperthreading effectively doubles the logical cores and Chief will attempt to take advantage of having more cores, but this may not be faster depending on the situation. Normally turning hyperthreading on/off has a negligible effect on  performance. So while 6 cores looks like 12 to Chief with hyperthreading on, it probably is only marginally better. Occasionally, we will see that hyperthreading will actually decrease the overall performance, but it is hard to predict and the effect is usually marginal.

The higher end i7's are good. If money is no object, I would suggest looking at the new Xenon's and consider dual CPU options with them. That can get real pricey, but if you do a lot of ray tracing it could pay off.

I just got an AMD FX-8350 4.33GHz 8-Core Processor....I love it.

Of course...I like AMD better than Intel.  They do seem a little less expensive, and a little more stable.

Slap on a Corsair water cooler, and you'll be good to go.