Sign in to follow this  
djhplanning

management of layer sets, annotation sets, default drawing settings, wall definitions

I am struggling to manage my layer sets, annotation sets, default settings and wall definitions.  I have numerous drawing projects going at once (about 12).  Some of them already have different settings.  It seams like every time I work on a drawing project I am always tweaking a layer set, annotation set, default drawing setting or adjusting a wall definition setting on the fly.  What is the best way to manage this so I am always using the most current settings.  If I change a setting in one drawing I am working on, I have to always try to remember to export the updated settings so they are available to import on another drawing.  Do I need to start exporting the settings each time I close a drawing and importing all the settings when I open a drawing file.  Is it possible to just have these settings automatically be used in any drawing file I open (similar to preference settings) without having to import them into the individual drawings.  It seams like there would be no reason to have separate settings for each drawing you work on anyway (unless you have some builder clients with there own graphic standards or something).  If I don't export the settings right away when I make the adjustment, I never know what drawing project has the most recent settings.  Any suggestions as to how to best manage this would be a big time saver.

Set it up in your default Template.  Or you can just save the current project as a Template and then do a "Clean-up" to get rid of the building, etc when you start a new job.  Some call this the SAM method.

I have a template drawing set up that I start with.  Eventually maybe I will have the template drawing setup exactly and have nothing to ever change during a project. But, something always comes up that I end up having to adjust on the fly while working on the new drawing.   This will only be saved in the new drawing and not the template drawing.  Unless I go back and open the template drawing and make the change again in this drawing.  In the meantime I have probably started a couple of more drawings and have made adjustments in those drawings as well.  It sounds like I have to start exporting every time before I close the drawing and import the settings each time I open the template drawing and start a new project.

There is an option that may make it a little easier than exporting and importing any defaults.

Keep a shortcut to your template plan handy.

When you want to change a default setting in the template plan, open it up and use Import Default Settings. 

You are given a choice as to what settings you want to import into your template plan.

This saves manually changing the setting or exporting and importing various default settings.

• Upvote 1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    THDesign
    Newest Member
    THDesign

• By LeeDrafter
      Hello,
      I am having an issue with layer sets for elevation views not showing correctly on layout. I am trying to accomplish a one page layout with live (color) views of different versions on one elevation. I want four versions of the same elevation on one page.

I made layers for window shutters and corbels. For the default elevation layer set "section view set" I turned on shutters. Then I made a new layer set, a copy of "section view set" but renamed it "Elev B-Corbels" and turned off the shutters and turned corbels on. I sent two elevations to layout, one from each layer set. 

Then I saved the same plan as a new name to change the gable siding to shakes. (I don't think this can be done just by using layers, but if so please let me know). I made a new layer set called "Elev C-shakes" just for clarity even though a new layer is not needed because it is a totally new file. I turned off corbels and shutters and changed the gable siding to shakes.

I saved a new plan for the stone option similar to what I did for the shakes option.

The layout views don't seem to be keeping there association. For example, when I work on the original file on the "Elev B-corbels" layer, it changes the layout view for the "section view set" layer. And when I work on the separate files for the stone, it updates all the layout views as if they were all linked to that file.

Another problem is even if the layout looks good on Chief, when I print to pdf, it has different layout views. 

Is this a problem with having multiple files sent to the same layout? They are all saved in the same folder. Or is it a problem with making new layer sets for elevation views or using live views instead of plot line views?

Thanks for your help.

layout.zip
      original plan, 2 elevation layer sets.zip
      shakes plan.zip
      stone plan.zip

what prints.pdf
    • By JanHalter
      Hi there!  I have been searching for a bit, and attempted a few things to no avail.  Anyone have a step by step tutorial (or is it just not possible?) on how to at the very least import an existing title block from Revit or CAD to Chief?  I am far from proficient in Chief at this point and wondering if it's possible.   We want to make sure the title block matches our Revit sheets exactly...in case we have to draw something in one program vs. another in the same CD set.

I tried exporting to .dwf from Revit and importing into the layout page, however it doesn't allow me to import that file type into the main layout page.

Also, am I blind? I can't figure out where to put my signature...so I just typed info below.

Janea
      Rafter P Construction
      Cheif ArchitectX10
    • By 152431
      Another question here:

Am I able to change the layer sets on just the layout pages or do I have to send a bunch of different renderings of the same plan with different layer settings?  
    • By AE_Drafting
      I would like to find out if there is a way to have a different label for windows and doors based on different layer sets. I would like to use my window schedule (with labels) for my main floor plan layer set, but would like it if the headers were just auto-labeled on my wall framing plan with the header sizes. I can create a custom label that updates the header size per the window or door ((2) 2x%header_depth% Header), which I just put into my default window and door labels. However, I can only get one or the other to show up in both layer sets as I have to edit the object to tell it which label to display. 
    • By Joe_Carrick
      We can specify the Text Styles for Text, Dimensions, Markers & Callouts in the Annosets / Active Defaults.
      Then in the Layer Set we can set each Layer to "Default Text Style".  The Layers will use whatever is specified in Active Defaults.  This works well in terms of using the correct text style.

However, when a Text Object is examined the attribute layer_text_style simply returns "Default Text Style" rather than the name of the Text Style.  I name my Text Styles with a size and scale as follows:
      1/8" Arial - 1/8" Scale 1/8" Arial - 1/4" Scale etc.  
      There are some layers (specifically LABEL layers) that the Text Style may need to be different.  Currently those need to be specified in the Layer Set since there are no settings available in the Annosets for Labels.

I would like to be able to:
      Set a "Label Default Text Style" that could be used in the Layer Sets Be able to examine the Text Object attribute layer_text_style and get the underlying name vs "Default Text Style" or "Label Default Text Style".  IOW: 1/8" Arial - 1/8" Scale as set in Active Defaults Have access in user Text Macros to the "Active Default Values"