Grid Sidelite Entryway with Transom

JiAngelo

Go to solution Solved by Joe_Carrick,

Most of our plans use a 6 panel front entry door with 2 sidelites and a rectangular transom.

Too often, clients are getting hung up on the Panel Sidelites, which look like leaded glass. (see the core catalog door styles under  Doors & Doorways > Entryways > With Transoms > Rectangular)

I know its silly, since our spec's and models the clients tour all have panel sidelites & transoms, but some clients press it and I'm forced to draw 3 doors, (2) 1' glass doors flanking a 36" entry door.  I then have to remove the hardware on the door sidelites, close them, then add a window above and center it across the door units.  

Because the window above isn't on the same plane as the doors, CA won't let me make this a mulled unit, or save it to the Library as a unit.

Under Elliptical Transoms and Without Transoms, there are "Grid Side Lite" options, but then I'm still forced to draw a window above the door and make it a transom.  I'd prefer something I can just drag and drop.

Oddly enough, the interior view of the stock Catalog doors would work (see attached examples of the 5480 Rectangular Transom Entryways.) I've also attached a picture of what I'm forced to repetitively create on every new plan.

Any ideas that would save me time would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

post-271-0-17287900-1400756322_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-05346800-1400756678_thumb.jpg

post-271-0-79587500-1400756733_thumb.jpg

John,

I don't know how competent you are in modeling a "Doorway" Symbol, but that's what you need. I could do one for you to your details for $150.00 that you could then just put any door you need into. I would need the dimensions and the wall thickness. Most Door Mfg use 36x80 doors and 14x80 sidelights with frames either 4-9/16 or 6-9/16 deep. I am assuming that the pic on the right is the one you like to use - or is it the one on the left?. The Transom is typically 12" or 14" in height.

Let me know if you want me to create such a symbol for you.

I've also attached a picture of what I'm forced to repetitively create on every new plan.

John,

Why are you creating it in every plan?

Either save it to the library or copy it from the old plan into the new one.

Thanks Joe.  Splitting out Steps 3 & 4 did the trick.  I kept trying to do all of them at once and it didn't occur to me to try mulling to a mulled unit, which comports with Chief's horizontal or vertical requirement when mulling.

Glenn,  I was doing it wrong (see above).  As a result, selecting all was saving 4 separate units to the library.  Copying from another plan would have required opening an elevation to ensure I'm selecting all the entryway units.  Too many steps.

FYI - I made them all out of doors, including the transom.  It now shows up on the door schedule as a 5482MU.  Very nice.  Thanks again.