Wainscot How To

Joe_Carrick

i know there are "Wainscot Symbols" in the Library - but I find them pretty much worthless.

Here's how I do it:

1.  I use a Base Board Molding and a Chair Rail Molding for the bottom and top.

a.  The Base Board will be broken at Doors

b.  The Chair Rail will be broken at Doors and Windows

2.  Then I add a Wall Material Region between those moldings.

a.  This will be broken at both Doors and Windows

3.  Finally, I add Millwork Symbols or Cabinet Doors as embellishments.

a.  These can be repeated using Multi-Copy or Transform Replicate

b.  You can use many other symbol types, depending on what you want.

c.  You might not even need any Symbols depending on the wainscot design.

This method provides a great deal of flexibility and avoids a lot of work.

• Upvote 1

Good tips Joe.  I would add that depending on the situation and desired accuracy a person can also just utilize a Wall Covering for item #2.  As I'm sure you know, its a little less accurate but also a little quicker and easier, plus it doesn't have the potential issues at exterior corners. 

Good tips Joe.  I would add that depending on the situation and desired accuracy a person can also just utilize a Wall Covering for item #2.  As I'm sure you know, its a little less accurate but also a little quicker and easier, plus it doesn't have the potential issues at exterior corners. 

I might use a wall covering if I wasn't concerned with the materials list and the wainscot was on all walls of the room.  The downside to using a wall covering is that you can't suppress it on a wall by wall basis. 

I recently did some exterior elevations of a pole building that was covered in G-Rib steel with a 36" tall G-Rib steel wainscotting.  I used a pony wall with the transition being about 36" above the floor.  I then used a molding polyline set to extrude to the outside of line to create the look of a piece of steel Z-bar where the two walls of the pony wall meat.  I think it turned out pretty well for well.  I had to break it at all windows and doors.

post-8172-0-52902700-1468472476_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

That's a very good idea Mr. 86. A pony wall is another very good potential method for creating wainscoting. It would solve the corner transition issue caused by material regions and would invite a number of other potential benefits as well. Good tip.

i know there are "Wainscot Symbols" in the Library - but I find them pretty much worthless.

Here's how I do it:

1.  I use a Base Board Molding and a Chair Rail Molding for the bottom and top.

a.  The Base Board will be broken at Doors

b.  The Chair Rail will be broken at Doors and Windows

2.  Then I add a Wall Material Region between those moldings.

a.  This will be broken at both Doors and Windows

3.  Finally, I add Millwork Symbols or Cabinet Doors as embellishments.

a.  These can be repeated using Multi-Copy or Transform Replicate

b.  You can use many other symbol types, depending on what you want.

c.  You might not even need any Symbols depending on the wainscot design.

This method provides a great deal of flexibility and avoids a lot of work.

I do it exactly like this too. I also have symbols I made for the center panels when needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am creating a wainscot using base molding, it is coming up 54" on the wall and intersecting a window. How can I trim this around my window? I have tried specifying it as a chair rail because this will trim around the window but then it disappears entirely. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Vevalee