What do you use for perimeter units?

Joe_Carrick

It seems that it's just easier to use mm (a simple number with no separators and no decimals) and forget about all the formatting that is needed to indicate meters?

Joe, you got it - sort of.

And that's how all my normal dimensions are formatted in Chief.

Except for site plan dimensions and notations which would normally be in meters (eg: 24.476m or 6.5m).

But...a lot depends on things like context and the magnitude of the units.

But, to answer your original question - we would not normally refer to the perimeter dimension of a room (why would we need to?).

In most cases, If we were notating or dimensioning the size of a room (width x breadth), we would use mm (3600 x 4200) - on say a con doc.

However, if were talking about the same room, we would say ("3.6 by 4.2 meters").

If the same room was in a sales brochure it would probably be indicated as "3.6m x 4.2m"

Simple as......

Glenn,

For those who might not want to use a materials list, the perimeter could be used to determine the total length of base, and crown moldings, etc.  It's also useful in calculating the wall area of a room.  Granted, this doesn't account for openings and isn't as accurate as the materials list but as a simple display it can be handy.  Note that not all Rooms are simple rectangles and the size of the room doesn't necessarily provide a way to determine the perimeter.

I use the perimeter to calculate sheet rock as the openings in a typical house usually account for the waste.

That is, perimeter times height plus ceiling area.

Wish I had a macro to do that for the entire floor...

It could be done, but I would just use the materials list since it can be set up for a room, floor or entire building.