Sign in to follow this  
sfdesignanddraft

Existing walls versus new walls?

Recommended Posts

I am an acad user (for almost 20 yrs).. and one of my biggest clients is wanting me to switch to CA... Most of my stuff for this client is additions to existing homes.. In acad I show the existing in a light pin and shade all of the existing objects so its obvious what is new and old.. How do you guys go about this in chief? Can you set up and existing wall type? I am just starting the tutorials and playing with the demo...

 

Another question.. this client is mainly looking at CA because of the take off features.. Do you guys utilize this feature and how would you rate it? Thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its easy in Chief to show existing walls in 2D - but its not as easy to try and get 3D representations of both.  Practically speaking I dont see how that would be a good thing anyways.

 

Draw your as-built condition first, then you can make a CAD detail from view - block it, and then bring it into a new plan as 2D (line properties how you define) and start to model your "final" condition.

 

The MTO produced by Chief is good IF you take the time to meticulously model everything correctly.  I could see this being a more problematic issue with a remodel when you mix new condition with existing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you recommend chief for a person that does 75% remodels? I can see how it would be an issue.. I would think there would be an option on certain wall types etc.. to not be included in the MTO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you recommend chief for a person that does 75% remodels? I can see how it would be an issue.. I would think there would be an option on certain wall types etc.. to not be included in the MTO

 

Sure I would recommend CA for remodels.  I've used other BIM apps and the process isn't all that much different in Chief.  I won't lie though, there is a huge learning curve for Chief as they've decided not to create much familiarity with other apps.  Their 2d tools (and 3d generic shape tools) aren't very good in my opinion - and I am talking beyond the basics.

 

The power of Chief is in its 3D specialty tools that makes otherwise complex model elements easy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

80% of your project is very easy to do and quick to learn in Chief (Walls, doors, windows, Cabinets, Bath fixtures), which will give you a basic plan. But it is the other 20% to bring a project completely together is the biggest learning time and effort. There are work a rounds that are not clear or even absent from training videos. This forum is very active and the biggest value added to Chief. Chief Architect is likely the best app for the money. I have used Acad, Archicad, Sketchup and a few others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything that is on a layer can be switched off in material list from my understanding. This is why we have the "m" in ALDO. So if you control the layers, the reporting would be very accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Member Statistics

    27478
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    Oilersfan20
    Newest Member
    Oilersfan20
    Joined