Vaulted ceiling trusses not working

MarkM1965

Hi,

Hopefully yo can help me out with this as I have no idea what the issue is with what I am designing.

I am designing an addition onto an existing house, I create the roof plane and the ceiling plane but when I use the truss tool, the truss seems to be off center a little bit, not the peak but the ends that sit on the walls.

In my attached drawing you will see 3 designs. 

The "original design" is the addition design and if you look at the truss in the "open truss detail" you will see that it is not a mirror image of the other side.

The "test design #1" I drew off to the side to see if something was wrong with the original design so all the dims are correct to original, created roof planes and ceiling planes and again if you look at the truss you will see that it is not a mirror image to the other side.

The  "test design #2" is just a random dimension rectangle I drew, created roof planes and ceiling planes, and guess what, if you look at the truss in the truss detail you will see that both side are a mirror image.

Now why is my original design and test design #1 not working but test design #2 is?  What do you think is wrong with my original design and the test design #1?

I appreciate any help that I can get on this as the client is looking for these drawings and I have been playing with this for a few days now.

Thanks for all your help,

Mark

Chief Architect X7

MCCNAMARA-junk.plan

Thank you Shane K. for posting your plan of the fixed trusses, but what did you do differently from what I did to get the trusses to work?

I would really like to fix the original design so the trusses work, I do not want to have to redraw it as I have too much time invested in the design, all the interior details are designed it is a completed addition.

My problem is that now it is time to make construction drawings and would like to fix my original instead of a redraw.

Please tell me what you did or what I need to do to fix my original design.

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Inspect what Shane did and fix what you have. We are not talking about "Rocket Science", just fix it and learn from how you fixed it. Sometimes there are tips and tricks but mostly it is just your personal intention for success that is most important, use it.

DJP

Inspect what Shane did and fix what you have. We are not talking about "Rocket Science", just fix it and learn from how you fixed it. Sometimes there are tips and tricks but mostly it is just your personal intention for success that is most important, use it.

DJP

OK, I just played around with this some more and there does seem to be some rocket science behind the issue I am having because here is what I found.  If you draw the rectangle addition and add roof and ceiling planes than add the trusses and view the truss in the truss detail viewer the trusses are perfect.  Now in my case the addition is a 6" step down from the existing house finished floor and the addition has an 8 foot ceiling height so the ceiling height does not match the existing house (so floor and ceiling in the proposed addition is a 6" step down from existing).  Once I put the 6" step down, my trusses are messed up.

So how do I fix this or is this a glitch in the CA-X7 program?

Thanks for your help,

Mark