Semi-Automatic Date Macro?

Chopsaw

I am rather new to this but I was wondering if anyone has or knows how to write a "Semi-Automatic Date Macro" that updates only when the text box is opened rather than every time the file is opened?   I noticed that X8 now has features that update when printed so this would also be a practical solution for a "Print Date Macro".  The issue I am trying to avoid is putting a new date on an archived file when it is opened only for reference.   Any help or suggestions on this problem would be greatly appreciated.    

Thanks. :rolleyes:

I am currently using a User Defined macro for my header in layout, it is written as  t = Time.new.strftime("%B %d, %Y")  and displays as  February 26, 2016   a format that I am happy with but would like to have control of when

it updates. If it could be updated with a couple of clicks when I choose rather than every time the file is opened that would be great.  I assume that my idea of a "Print date macro" would have to be written right into the program,

possibly X9.  I am currently using X7 ( just for a  few more days ) so I assume that the printed date macro you are talking about for layout is a Global macro where there are only two choices %date.long% which displays as

Friday, February 26, 2016 and %date.short% which displays 2/26/2016. I believe that both of these also update every time the file is opened, no choices.

Many thanks for taking the time to help me out. :)