4K Video Cards

KTKArch

Go to solution Solved by TheKitchenAbode,

Hi All,

Updated my presentation screen to a 65" 4k TV. Note it is not for production, client show & tell only, (and the Superbowl party when the Seahawks get back in it in '17 :D ). Its attached to a first generation i7 cpu 16 GB system. It has HDMI 2.0 capability so I'm looking for a low cost 4k HDMI 2.0 video card to push the Chief screen images out to it. Since Chief does not use the GPU to render, it doesn't have to be a Titan card. I'm looking at the nVidea 950 and 960 cards as the current lowest cost, single cable (not split screen) cards out there. Since each card has multiple version options has anyone found how well the 2GB vs 4GB, 'low # vs high #" of shaders etc... performance with Chief at 4k resolution? Is HDMI 2.0 still limited to 6' cables? Most of what I've found online is pre 2015. 

Thanks for your input.

Karl

Since Chief does not use the GPU to render, it doesn't have to be a Titan card.

Thanks for your input.

Karl

But Chief does use the GPU to render. GPU for renders; CPU for raytraces. Buy the best graphics card your budget can afford that, of course, will work with your system. If raytracing is what you want to do, make sure you have more processor horsepower available to get slower processing times - most on here recommend the more cores the better.

Mike

Here's a link to a review several cards comparing 2GB & 4GB and high resolution performance. Worth reading.

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/6389/nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-4gb-review-what-difference-does-extra-vram-make

Graham

Thanks for the link. 4k (Ultra HD Medium) performance of the nvidea 960 seems reasonable per this info and cost. The 970 makes a great case for upgrading to too. Seems the 950 is a bit brain damaged. I'll keep an eye out for Fry's next promo code offer since the 960 can be had for well under $200 then.