Printing only 8.5" wide?

Nicinus

Odd printing problem. I've defined a 13"x19" page and looking at Print preview everything looks correct, but when I print it only prints 8.5" wide. Length is correct at 19" but not the width.

Anyone had similar issues?

Like Lew said, try printing to PDF first, then open it in something like Adobe Acrobat.

In Acrobat use File > Page Setup.  then File > Print.

This has solved my printing problem, especially on custom sized paper like 17x25.

Print to PDF also makes it easy to email the drawings.

So I tried printing to PDF first and yes the pdf shows the whole width correctly, but when I then print from Acrobat I have the same issue, so I assume the problem is with the printer setting somehow. I have defined a 13" x 19" page, and it respects the length but not the width.

However, the Print dbx in Acrobat clearly shows that the whole page won't be printed (first pic) BUT if I click 'Choose paper source by PDF page size' (second pic) it suddenly works and it fills the whole width? I don't get it, there must be some instruction regarding the page size that doesn't get forwarded, which means this should be able to work from within Chief as well. Anyone that can figure this out? 

A

A

I've been tinkering on with this and it seems as if the printer stubbornly defaults to letter as page size. Photoshop does not have this problem though so maybe it automatically uses the override that Acrobat let's me do by choosing paper source by pdf page size. It is a nuisance but the main thing is that I can get around it by printing from Acrobat I guess. Interested to hear if this is a common issue for large format printers...

Don't know if it is a common issue

as most chiefers user PDF first

I have only done PDF first since I started in 2004 with ver 9.5

using PDF has many, many advantages

if you think Chief should be able to go direct to printer

then you should contact CA's tech support

Lew

Well, since there is a print function it would obviously be convenient if it was possible to print without going through a pdf to do so. I wouldn't mind printing pdfs first in Layout, but from within Chief I would like to be able to print out portions for closer study, sketching, etc.

Every printer is unique as to margins, and other 'quirks' that just can't be resolved.  I have beat this 'horse' to death over many a year trying to tailor a plan to a specific printer... I finally gave up and now print to PDF exclusively.  I'm telling you, you will be much happier once you make the transition. Lew has it right on this one :P . It's only a few clicks more, but the satisfaction is priceless...