tandrasz

Retaining Walls Not Working With Imported Elevation Data?

Hi, 

I'm new to this. I'm using Chief Architect Premier X7. I have imported perimeter and elevation data from a DWG file. It looks correct in the Perspective Full Overview, however when I try to draw a retaining wall all I get is something that looks like a stripe of concrete on the ground (attached) - the terrain does not get broken.  In a new plan with perimeter and elevation lines created manually retaining walls work as expected. 

What am I missing?

Tom

post-8609-0-57759400-1449306533_thumb.png

Here is my plan:

Terrain_good2.plan

Hi, 

I'm new to this. I'm using Chief Architect Premier X7. I have imported perimeter and elevation data from a DWG file. It looks correct in the Perspective Full Overview, however when I try to draw a retaining wall all I get is something that looks like a stripe of concrete on the ground (attached) - the terrain does not get broken.  In a new plan with perimeter and elevation lines created manually retaining walls work as expected. 

What am I missing?

Tom

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-12-05 at 7.08.28 pm.png

Here is my plan:

attachicon.gifTerrain_good2.plan

The plan you posted has no retaining wall

It has, but it looks like a U shaped stripe on the surface - like in my screenshot. Try creating one in that plan.

@dshall - sorry Scott - I posted the original plan - without the retaining wall. 

@mark3D - thanks Mark, I will break elevation lines. 

......I will break elevation lines. 

Elevation lines do not need to be broken.  If you use an elevation region,  that elevation region will override the elevation lines....  much quicker

Thanks Scott! I'm getting much better results with the elevation region, but I still must be doing something wrong. Here is the screenshot of mine (lower) vs Mark's (upper):

post-8609-0-18386800-1449433127_thumb.png

Mine has these rugged terrain irregularities, while Mark's is smooth.

The plan:

Terrain_good2.plan

Thanks Scott! I'm getting much better results with the elevation region, but I still must be doing something wrong. Here is the screenshot of mine (lower) vs Mark's (upper):

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-12-07 at 6.14.30 am.png

Mine has these rugged terrain irregularities, while Mark's is smooth.

The plan:

attachicon.gifTerrain_good2.plan

Move your elevation region UNDER THE WALL BY ABOUT 3 inches, that should take care of irregularities.

That worked great!

post-8609-0-52631800-1449439363_thumb.png

Now, I just need to figure out how to convert the elevation region square into a polygon, so I can get rid of the up bump in the bottom right  corner. 

Thanks - broke the right border at the start of the retaining wall and then made the shorter part almost zero length.