Walk-out Basement Problems

CheriAnn

Hi All!  I am currently running X6, and am having a hard time creating a walkout basement for a plan I'm working on.  I am struggling to get the back yard terrain lowered, while leaving the main floor front at a ground level.  I tried the procedure in the help files, but either ALL the terrain lowers to walkout basement level, or it ALL goes to main level elevation......any suggestions?

I tried the procedure in the help files,

There is a marked difference between "trying" and completely understanding and then doing what the article says, always.

The easiest way to  do what you want is to use two "Elevation Regions", one in the front yard that matches the garage door height and then another "Elevation Region" at the back door and yard that matches the grade level of the walk-out basement floor. The only way to not get a modulated terrain is to use only one value for change. the terrain plane is predicated to work with "two differing" elevation datums or objects, not just one. Read the article carefully again and carefully follow each step and when you do, you will get the expected outcome.

DJP

Here's a plan with a nice terrain that was done by user Roger Rhines using a much earlier version of Chief ... perhaps a version with fewer terrain features than X6 or X7.  I think Roger posted this plan in a thread that was about accessing a basement garage with a driveway just as Roger did it. 

It is worthy of a little study to see how he used elevation lines and points to get his results.  I haven't looked at it in awhile and I can't remember him using elevation regions, which I agree with David, is a very quick way to do your basement walkout terrain.  Anyway, more than one tool to get you the results you need.  The general rule is try to produce your terrain with a minimum amount of elevation information.  I often find that easier said than done.  Chief has a good video or two on building the terrain for a walkout basement if you have SSA.

Good luck.

Sunken Driveway & Road_Terrain_RigerRhines.zip