I can't figure out to make a roof/ceiling for this space. It is an existing attic space and I am doing a remodel and the ceiling slopes almost to the floor at the edges and I don't know know how to make it so it reflects this. I have attached a picture of the plan and some photos of the actual space.

post-957-0-51084100-1396480196_thumb.jpg

post-957-0-37766700-1396480210_thumb.jpg

post-957-0-53936100-1396480229_thumb.jpg

Its been so long ago for X2, sorry can't help.

I would start by creating a 2nd floor, with a ceiling height that equals the short knee walls (looks like between 24-30"), create the roof with the pitch to match the existing, then once the roof is in place, with the correct framing dimensions, 2x8, 2x10, etc., open the room dialogue box and un-check ceiling above this room. This should give you the cathedral/sloped ceiling you need. And as far as I know, this is the way every version of CA works :-)

there are a lot of video's on how to do this online. Check out chieftutor.com , also Chief's own videos at their website.

I just did a vid on this in the last week,  go to my youtube channel and you  should be able to find it,=.

channel is.......  dshall...  i think,  see my signature

I know I've seen one but couldn't remember where it was.

I think I did it for Guy,  "the Norwegian"......  I was killing time before I started  working on a job that I did not want to do.

I was killing time before I started working on a job that I did not want to do.

That's what I'm doing right now.

I can't seem to find the youtube video! Sorry!

I don't know how anybody can find this crap,  but somehow I did.....

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChiefAKBuilder
    Newest Member
    ChiefAKBuilder

• By Ravenquills
      Hello All:

I am designing a house with all cathedral ceilings on the second floor. The idea is to have all the duct work etc exposed. In some areas I would like to do some sloped soffits for light fixtures. So the question is and it may be stupid is do i place everything on the attic level so that it is on the ceiling?

Thanks 
      best
      a
    • By Designer100
      can anyone assist me? I am trying to have a faulse ceiling at at 9'9" P.L. showing as the bldg. section shows that I have drawn across in 2D.
      I do not know how to do it to the family room with at coffered clg to 12' for this remodeling project. Also I have beams serveral places that are flush with 8' clg.

Any help will be appreciated.

Newell
      newell@newellcheatheam.com 

Inwood drive remodeling.plan
    • By Designer100
      i WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP.
      1. Front elevation of 2nd floor roof is not lining up and attic is showing on front.
      2. Is it possible for carport ceiling and below the deck to have same ceiling ht?
      maybe if someway to lower porch ceiling to match 2nd floor and porch floor lowered 1.5" . Would fix issue.

X8 primer.  
      PLAN 1657. LOT 1. 2.layout

• By DMDesigns
      Hey Gang,

I just added a new sloping ceiling video to the ((FREE)) Help Plan Section at ChiefTutor.com 

http://www.chieftutor.net/ceilingvideo.html

The YouTube Version: 

Enjoy - 
      Dave

• By MBagshaw
      I have a two level design for my home, with ceiling dimensions (structure and finish) the same on each floor, but anything I place on the ceiling on the ground floor (lights, fans, etc) seem to attach to the underside of the floor above and I need to manually drop the light/fans/etc by the height of the ceiling structureby specifying the ceiling offset on the object itself, otherwise the (flush mounted) lights don't appear at all, and the fans look like they disappear through the ceiling. I don't need to lower ceiling mounted items on the second floor. I'm an amateur at this, but I have been using CA for a while now and I don't recall it doing this previously.

I have attached screenshots of the room structures for the ground and second floors.

Mark